1. I have resumed working with Anti. My aim is to complete a larger part of the game and post it within a month (specifically the three subquests after you PC leaves castle Dix, your first important quest where you meet your second henchman and perhaps the entrance in your homeland where a large part of the plot will take place). Thus you’ll get a better idea of my intentions. Currently I'm close to finish the first subquest. It introduces the mystery of a series of murders and a maze-library, one of the trickiest puzzles ever made for NWN.
2. I decided to make some alterations to the plot. At first I wanted to reveal the meaning of your quests and visions not before the end of the game; but I understand that this will be annoying for some players. So your PC won’t remain in the darkness for long, and during your stay in your homeland you ‘ll discover what’s going on. In fact the readme-walkthrough included in the next update will explain it for eager players.
3. I also wish to note that though this demo is very short, there’s more work in it then you may think, because I have worked with things like henchmen control and level up, or with scripted items. If you have checked the abilities of the magic gem you obtain from Yapi you ‘ll understand what I mean.
So take a look from time to time, for I am returning with a large update soon!
Hm. Just played through. I think. I agree with Eowien, in that the demo is too short to give much of an overall impression. It took me, I think, around fifteen minutes to 'complete'. I noticed a couple of typos, but nothing major. (One of them was in a dialogue near the end, where 'resources' is not spelled correctly).
I think the problem I had was that I really didn't care about the castle. There was absolutely no reason for me to attempt to take over, something which I think my henchman pointed out at one point.
I take it you were aiming for a Don Quixote-like atmosphere? If so, you succeeded. But being constrained to follow the path of a rather witless hero/heroine, as it seems so far, will perhaps irritate quite a lot of people.
Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to updates and the full version, since I can't help but wonder where the story is heading.
Thanks for your comments and encouragement Eowien. As you suggested, let's make this an open development thread - let's exchange ideas and I'll try to post some updates. Now about your suggestions:
- You are right about giving a more informative description and I 'll do that later. The great nogard has also a point about the screenshots. Class and alignment, however, are unimportant. Giving only "good" options during the speech has nothing to do with it, and your PC won't remain lord of castle Dix for long...
- The books are just for atmosphere, and in fact they are experts from real literature and politics books. Thus, I don't mind keeping them long.
- You implied that the player won't have much control over the events. This is partially true, due to the course of the story, but you can make some decisions. For example, the answer you give Pancho about your motives sets your next quest. Hmm... I think I should start working on them and post an update soon.
By the way, didn't you find even a single typo? Keep in mind that I am not a native english speaker.
I just played and I have sent you an email with some pretty specific comments. Its still too short at this stage to be able to tell much about the storyline, but it seems interesting enough. I'll look for updates.