You are here

NWN1 Camera Hak 169 Virus Concerns

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Carcerian
NWN1 Camera Hak 169 Virus Concerns

Recent concerns have been voiced about potential virus infections on the NWN1 Camera Hak:

neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/patch/nwn-souhotu-169-camera-hack-mod

Are these false positives, or should the entry be deleted or flagged as admin archive?

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/480168b333645aa98fa4ca4245c6d7aea7fd1...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Fester Pot

I got nothing when I scanned it.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a false report due to the modifications made to the executable file that could be seen as a potential hazard by some scanners. I'd get reports for an old trainer I'd use for an old game all the time because of how it loaded itself into memory so the function keys could be used to activate the trainer while playing the game.

FP!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Sawark

I would think of myself as a naive one, if I seriously were to trust that 28 out of 53 AVs (including at least 9 well known and reputable scanners) might be fooled by several simple code modifications (as advertised by Roma_CZ) and detect a malware in the file that is 100% harmless. So I don't think these are false positives.

Actually a shady tool (named: uNivErsaL PatCheR 2.0.b1) used in this hack, most probably contains a trojan/rootkit. :(

And the good news at last:

Some actions were made to address this issue. See the project's page again. :)

P.S. As we can clearly see here - several simple code modifications are not enough to trigger AVs to falsely report a trojan. ;)

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%