You are here

MODULE: The Scroll (The First Day) - V2.02 RELEASED!!!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lance Botelle
MODULE: The Scroll (The First Day) - V2.02 RELEASED!!!

***** 19/12/17 The Scroll v2.02 is now available for download *****

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/scroll

=========================================================

GO TO THIS POST FOR REPORTING ANY ISSUES OR COMMENTS:-

https://neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-2/nwn2-modules/sc...

OLD POST FOLLOWS (WHICH CAN BE IGNORED)

Hi Everyone,

(Copied from Bioware forums due to their imminent closure.)

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE: 04/05/16

VIDEO CLIP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHkzKn7WYM THANKS TO LILURA!

The Scroll has finally been released. You can read more about it and grab the files from here:-

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/scroll

There are a total of FOUR compressed files containing all the data you will need to install and play (as long as you own NWN2 and both expansions). (There is a fifth patch file for those that need it.) Please follow the installation instructions carefully, and use the Quickstart Guide (contained within the Information.7z file) to ensure you have installed everything correctly and that the game starts as it should.

NOTE: Regrettably, no MAC beta tester was able to get this module to work on their computer. If you are a MAC user and succeed, then please report back to me so that I can update the instructions advising how other MAC users can install and play the module.

* * * * * * REPORTED ISSUES & PATCHING INFO * * * * * *

I have to recognise that some minor issues will still remain in this final release, and wanted to encourage players to report anything they may find, so that I can address them as required. NOTE: I will update this post with issues found and inform you when they are fixed. However, no patch will be uploaded unless the issue is game-breaking. Therefore, some issues will remain in place until either a ) A game breaking issue is reported, or b ) A significant amount of time has passed allowing all to be reported. At which time, a patch will be uploaded for current players, and the main files updated.

To this end, I will start an "issue" list, detailing the date discovered and what the issue is. When the issue is covered in a patch, it will be noted in BOLD FONT. Other reported issues (not emboldened) are only minor issues, not addressed in a patch, but covered in the latest version of the files.

DATE ISSUE NOTED

FIXES & UPDATES FOR v1.01

- 5/5/16 - The wording "Map Pins" is used to describe part of the Main Menu in an opening GUI. This is no longer an appropriate description. (Reworded.)

- 5/5/16 - The Main PC was not being issued any starting gold. (Other created PCs were OK.)

- 7/5/16 - CONTAINER BUG *** IMPORTANT *** : DO NOT DROP CONTAINERS WITHOUT PATCH! IT IS A GAME-BREAKER! (PATCH v1.01 FIXES)

FIXES & UPDATES FOR v1.02

- 19/5/16 - A "PC name" rather than "Monodrone name" can sometimes show incorrectly. UPDATE: Alterations at the Nexus GUI will now give a VFX.

- 23/5/16 - BROKEN DOOR - Sewer Waterways Portcullis (SW) - Fixed in v1.02 main files (but cannot be patched). REPORTS: Exploit Detected. (Will only open if carrying Life Essences. Sorry about that.)

- 23/5/16 - OBI conversation can drop out on certain path. Scraps run to door animation on initial conv. (PATCH v1.02 FIXES)

- 23/5/16 - PLOT ITEM BUG *** IMPORTANT *** : CANNOT DROP CERTAIN ITEMS WITHOUT PATCH! IT IS A GAME-BREAKER! (PATCH v1.02 FIXES)

UPDATES & ISSUES REPORTED FOR v1.03

PENDING ...

PATCHING THE MODULE LATEST PATCH (CURRENT v1.02) (87 KB): USE ABOVE LINK

Any patch file added as a download is only required if your version of the module is lower than the patch version. i.e. If you are only just downloading the latest version of the module to play now, then you will NOT require any new patch file at this stage, as your download will already contain the latest scripts. However, once installed, it is *VERY IMPORTANT* to make sure your game is always patched to the latest version. Therefore, keep track of the current patch version in case it is higher than your current module version. Note that the hak patch only addresses essential game-breaking bugs, which are mostly campaign ( C ) scripts. Any module ( M ) fixes, considered non-essential, are only updated for the latest module version uploaded. The differences in the module files should be overlooked by the player unless they are prepared to restart The Scroll completely afresh with the latest files, which would not be worth the time already played for the small differences they might make on a restart.

INSTALLATION: Simply download, unpack and replace the existing althea_patch.hak with this latest version before restarting NWN2. The latest version will always include previous patches and be backward compatible.

VERIFICATION: When you reload your latest saved game, the module should welcome you again, and inform you of the latest patch update. This figure can also be found from the Althéa Main Menu ("Rule Information" section).

PATCHING HISTORY

v1.01 - Fixed containers ( C ). Fixed those noted above, plus liquor cabinets & light flicker ( M ).

v1.02 - Fixed PLOT ITEM drops. (Obi Sten conversation in patch.) ( C ) Some other conversations. Nexus VFX. ( M ).

Catch you later, Lance.

The World of Althéa Blog: http://worldofalthea.blogspot.co.uk/

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Lance Botelle

Hi All,

***** IMPORTANT: The updates and improvements listed below will NOT be available until v2.00 release *****

Version 2.0 of The Scroll is almost available for release. I decided to skip v1.10 and jump straight to v2.00 due to the significant number of fixes and updates I have put in place since its initial release. The "incomplete" list of fixes and updates is below. However, I would also point out that the core function files went through some major alterations to improve performance and stability.

Fixes COMING in v2.00

(1) Light Sources: I have noticed that carried light sources currently fail to work upon a reload unless swapped to another PC first. Fixed in the next version.

(2) Entering Ant Hill: I am making it easier to enter the any hill by requiring only PCs to be made smaller. Also fixed spell effect based on time passing.

(3) Scraps cutscene: Scraps now performs to cue in the barn conversation instead of just standing around. Disobedient dog! And Frank now stands still when spoken to.

(4) HP Bar Update: Prevented HP Bar option from toggling off from an innocuous conversation.

(5) Vigour Levels Restored on Recovery: Vigour levels were not updating after recovering from a "knock out". Fixed!

(6) Red Guard Sales: Fixed the Red Guard leader to continue buying Bounty Items after finishing quest.

(7) Accomodation: Button now defaults to "Abandon" rather than the most expensive. (Prevents accidental expense.)

(8) Encounter Combat Cutscenes: Reworked the timing of auto-pausing for encounter cutscenes. Henchmen timing also fixed.

(9) Trickster Jewellery: Fixed an ID discrepency between party find and individual acquisition.

(10) Auto Mapping: Fixed auto-mapping restart after combat (when applicable).

(11) Trap Detection Update: Improved trap detection auto-detection informing.

(12) Fixed Automatons In Crypt: Some incorrect automaton blueprints were being used in the crypt.

(13) Improved Mapping Stability: Rarely mapping could stop & not restart until returning to the area. Failsafe fix enabled.

(14) Item Transfer: Enabled an item from a bag carried by a PC to be directly transferred to another without using inventory.

(15) Journal Logic: Fixed a journal entry for the "Murder!" quest upon body found in mortuary. (Journal could go awry under certain circumstances.)

(16) Password Logic (Merkes Place): Fixed broken logic on Merkes entry if password not known. (On certain circumstances.)

(17) Weapon Reporting: Equipped and unequipped Thrown Weapons reporting fixed.

(18) Weather System Overhaul: The weather system has had a complete overhaul for v1.10. (Removed "Frequency Check" timer outside of function for reliability.)

(19) Map Auto-Close: Fixed a couple of instances where the map would not close quick enough (in combat), or unnecessarily in same area.

(20) Guard Speech Trigger: Fixed a broken speech trigger on a guard that guards the caves. (Guard was only stopping once. Now fixed to many.)

(21) Combat Auto-Pause and AI: Improved the timing of the combat auto-pause and general running.

(22) AI Puppet Mode Settings: Synchronised the Official Campaign AI button with Althéa AI Button (Brain icon). Fixed broken logic.

(23) Enemy Summons: Fixed a variable on enemy summoned creatures that affected their combat.

(24) Weapon Swap While Paused: Improved efficiency of code for swapping weapons while paused. (Now always successful in tests to date.)

(25) Recipe Books: Fixed a store "infinite" bug that caused Recipe Books bought to fail to work recipes held. (Sorry to all previous players.)

(26) Map Pins: Fixed duplication of a manually set pin.

(27) Sewers (Line of Sight): There was a section of the sewers where the LoS was broken - could be seen through walls. Added a block.

(28) Combat Info: Added feedback for player to know what weapon they had equipped, ammo, and round actions prepared (when paused).

(29) Transition Fade: Fixed a potential problem if the game auto-paused when trying to fade from black.

(30) Thomsk Side Quest: Fixed transitions/Thomsk so that "he" can be rescued without having to die.

(31) Door Combination Locks: Stopped the Pick Lock interaction/animation if an "open lock" skilled PC tried to start interacting with a combination on a door.

(32) Right-Click Examine (Inc Monster CR): Improved right-click examine, including synchronising own CR system to description.

(33) Improved Turn-Based Combat: https://neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-2/nwn2-modules/sc...

(34) Improved Inventory Control: Allowed items to be removed from auto-fill containers. Fixed dual weapon to show correct in hotbar on reload. Examine improved.

(35) Major Script Overhaul: Rewritten and tidied all monster scripts to resolve some AI issues and for future-proofing.

(36) Multi-Player Fix (PC Control): Fixed an error where PCs were not initializing (Heartbeat broken) in a MP game. (MP gamebreaking bug!)

(37) Multi-Player Fix (Background & Gold): Fixed background selection screens in a MP game, where both background and starting gold broken.

(38) Multi-Player Fix (Chat Windows): The chat windows in a MP game were not "hiding" proprly if selected to do so. Fixed!

(39) Animation Change: Altered a baseitem.2da setting to ensure musical instruments do not delay item swapping due to their animations.

(40) Persistent Effects: Fixed persistent effects to continue even after a reload, and without compromising memory issue with too many effects on a PC.

(41) Automatons Reset: Fixed an issue where automatons were not resetting after combat (if they had beaten the PCs).

(42) ***QUEST BREAKER***: Fixed a quest breaking bug where Sebastion Rewilder would not respond from his cell to join party.

(43) Core Files Rebuild: After encountering a dreaded INCLUDE crash (exiting toolset), I decided to rework all core files for efficiency. (Not a pleasant experience.)

(44) Missing Blueprints: Added some missing wand blueprints that could be created.

(45) Pressure Pads: Fixed for invalid objects being left behind (map pins) and in general.

(46) Progress continues .... Various fixes and updates have been applied over the last few weeks. (I will upload as soon as I reach the end of play testing.)

Some more updates ....

(47) Area Update: I altered the way some encounters worked to avoid difficulty in execution. i.e. Some encounters were difficult to "play" due to height/line of sight/distance issues. One area suffered from this more than others, which I have now addressed. In theory, these encounters should now be more manageable.

(48) Auto-Map Pin Updates: I added some more automatic added map pins to some areas.

(49) Progress Continues ... I have also now updated the walkmesh on an area where PCs would wonder about. Various other small fixes applied. (Only about 3 areas left to explore.)

(50) Updates ... Increased number of Fast Travel points, Increased some encounter difficulties, Fixed Chameleon Stone feedback after trap found/activated.

(51) More Fixes ... Fixed issue of missing placeable (destroyed in error) and improved search chances for certain plot find requirements. Fixed some death fade instances. Fixed certain monster not fighting!

(52) Fixing & Balancing: Fixed a couple of Recipe feedback (when available), Fixed "Switch Weapons" target during TB combat. Balanced some encounters.

(53) Fixed Container Quantities: Fixed figures on comtaners Carried/Maximum. Eradicated a few dozen typos.

NOTE: The module has been withdrawn from downloads until I have finished updating and satisfied I have addressed the majority of any outstanding issues. Anybody with version 1.03 will find that the version has corrupted files and will not start. I think this may have happened at some time when I updated between v 1.00 and v 1.04. I apologise for the inconvenience, but the wait will be worthwhile for those waiting for the next stable version: v2.00

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
rjshae

Hi Lance,

Something you might try if you're interested is the revamped RWS Dungeons tileset. That was my attempt to address some of the walkpathing issues I experienced in the bottom level of one of your dungeons. But it does mean that you would need to rebake the area.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lance Botelle

Hi,

OK, that does sound like it could be a good improvement. I will take a look to see what I would need to do. If it is fairly straightforward (i.e. swap files and bake without any other reinvestment), then I will do it this afternoon. :)

EDIT: Will I have to redo any of my 2da files, or are your 2da references unchanged? (i.e. Can I change just the tileset files?)

Cheers, Lance.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
rjshae

The tiles.2da entries for that set have changed, including adding some rows for the missing types and making changes in the variant counts. I slotted the new entries in the blank rows that surrounded the original. But you could just swap out the original tile models (.mdb files) if you don't want to change the 2da file.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lance Botelle

Hi,

I updated my hak just by copying/overwriting the existing models, etc in my own hak with your gear, and have it sitting as an option to consider. (It replaced around 170 files apparently, and the remainder must have been "new".)

However, I may just keep that hak to work on my next module rather than risk anything in the existing. While I don't mind doing some scripting fixes, I find area/design etc to be hard work by comparison. ;)

That said, I may just give it a go after I get to the end.

Cheers, Lance.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lilura

Hi Lance, and thanks for info on the update! Still haven't delved deep into this one yet, but I've given your campaign and GUI write-up some love on one of my most popular blog pages (here).

Good luck with The Scroll. I've never seen such ambitious GUI and mechanics modding before, and I hope more people will give The Scroll a whirl.

Kind regards,

Lilura. 

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lance Botelle

Hi Lilura,

Thanks for the promotion and vote of confidence! :)  yes  Your site looks interesting and informative.

If you do find the time, wait until I have released v1.10 (at least) if you do. (Earlier versions are playable - as far as I am aware - but the fixes that will come with v1.10 will be many and most beneficial.)

Cheers, Lance.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lance Botelle

Hi All,

Here is a quick screenshot showing the latest addition to The Scroll (coming on v1.10) ... "The Current Target and Action GUI"

In TB combat, after selecting what each PC is doing, you can "review" your party actions for the round, and it also "automatically updates" between each unpaused round.

Cheers, Lance.

TBCombat02.jpg

SCREEN CAN BE ENLARGED HERE: https://worldofalthea.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/the-scroll-updated-and-impr...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Trinital

Interesting!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
rjshae

Hi Lance. I was just curious whether you had started work on a sequel yet?

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Lance Botelle

Hi rjshae,

Sadly, I have not done any more at the moment. I was hoping that going over this module (again) will encourage me to move forward when completed. As I have reported before, all the areas are "done", but without decorating and scripting and adding the story. Hopefully, when I finish updating this module, I will be in a position to approach the second again.

At least by going over this module, I am familiarising myself with the code again. So, in that sense, I am warming up to it gradually. Time will tell though.

Thanks for asking, Lance.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%