You are here

Custom Content Challenge: September 2017: Noble Cause

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Challenge: September 2017: Noble Cause

The theme for this month's challenge: "Noble Cause":

This challenge is to represent the tools, symbols, appearances, and capabilities of the nobility, particularly the royal court. Potential ideas include throne rooms, elite royal guards, heraldic symbols, the queen's boudoir, a king's special armor, royal carriages, courtiers, crowns, jesters, banquet hall, rich tapestries, silverware, jousting instruments, mirrors, baths, private chapel, royal huntsman and stables, spoiled princes and princesses, toys, dancers, performers, and various members of the nobility. An implementation of the Aristocrat NPC class could be built, for example.

This theme was suggested by rjshae.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by October 1st, 2017. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (the origin of almost all my works)
NWN Custom Content: The Complete List (90+ entries...you want this stuff)
>>>> If you have opinions on stuff I've made, or if you use any of it (as a player or builder), I like comments/votes/feedback...so do other content makers and builders. Keep us motivated. :)
------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Aw yiss, Noble Cause!

As cunningly planned ahead of time, I'll be making clothing. Gown-style skins for the robe mesh, maybe some new Belt, Neck, or Cloak accessories to go with them.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

I'll make the Aristocrat class as a pseudo-prestige class (no prereqs) since it's not possible to create a new core class --- that is, unless someone can point me to info on how to make a new core class.

Depending on time available, I may sign up for more.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shadooow

is it possible, what is not possible is to select custom base class in character creation, but once you get into game you can select it

there are few solutions to the issue:

1) nwncx_patch plugin removes this restriction

2) nwnx_funcs/nwnx_leto can be used to change character class on server - using subrace field and these plugins to remake character after he is logged in for first time

3) for singleplayer, Leto 1.69 can be used to change the class as well.

4) external character creator, if its still there on vault

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, what about a custom base class that is intended only for NPCs, which is what was suggested in the OP?

"Never laugh in the face of a live dragon." - Bilbo Baggins

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

The first new dress, exhibiting some possible color combinations for everybody's enjoyment:

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Next up, something royally regal. Showing off the males too for this one, because they are looking quite snazzy in their dresses.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Most well-spent weekend ever.

Also, the robe mesh and instructions for making more should be in the Underdark Societies Stuff CCC, if anybody has no clue what to do for this CCC and thinks they might want to play around with making dresses, too.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

Here's a thought. Having re-read the brief for this months ccc I notice that no era is specified. To me this means that both Ancient Rome (Royal Purple Togas anyone) and science fictional nobility (look up the Centauri Republic from Babylon 5) would be valid if anyone wants to go there.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

Boo-yah! Backless gradient gown - or plain, if all colors are identical.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Vanya Mia

That's some lovely work Barbarian. I might take a look at your advice. yes

"I took Skill Focus: Craft Disturbing Mental Image as my feat last level." Belkar, OOTS

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

@Vanya Mia

Thank you, and - yes! Yes! Do this thing!

This thing. This THING! The thing with the dresses! Do it. Yes.

If you spot any texture bit you want to reuse, shout and I'll send 'em over. :-D

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

Chances are there's isn't really much I can contribute much for this month (My brain's off in Dwarf Fortress/dinosaur mode and thinking about Planepacked and weird obscure Triassic reptiles. Vote Dinosaurs for Mecheon to go insane next month)

But I will say you can never have enough dresses. The more ornate and over the top, the better

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Grymlorde

Hah! Of course if it is NPC only, it can be a base class!!!! And it should be since as it is written, it is a very poor choice for PCs (no bonus feats, cleric hit die, BAB, & skills, and rogue saves).

I'll have the true NPC only faithful to the Rules As Written version done by the end of this week.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

A Queen character-creature made from a free model at "deviantart.com".She uses fencing animations from "Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0)" by "Ragnarok_mr4":

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/alterna...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Any preference for which lines in the .tlk file I should use? If not, I'll start with line #1 (16777217) to make it easier to locate the lines needed for .tlk file merging.

Also, I am going to create the Warrior NPC class and maybe possibly the Expert NPC class as well.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Talisstra

TheBarbarian, the gradient gowns are gorgeous!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Aristocrat and Warrior NPC classes are done. I don't see any value in creating the expert NPC class.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
meaglyn

@TheBarbarian: These are all great! Do they have the jiggly bits?

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Talisstra

The Expert class is basically impossible to implement faithfully in NWN because of the way they're supposed to select their class skills from all the available skills, but if you can think of a compromise, I can see some value in the Expert. For example, there is at least one Dwarf subrace in the PRC pack (the Urdunnir) that are supposed to have Expert as their favored class.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

Next up: A neckholder one with butt-metal for grab-protection during crowded events. Possibly more armor than gown, especially with shoulderpieces on.

@Talisstra:

Thank you! I agree. :D I think I'll try to make another backless, sleeveless one.

There are so many possible patterns and designs to experiment with. Augh!!

@meaglyn:

Thank you to you too! :-) And - nope. :-/ Robe's a solid, non-jiggling single-piece skinmesh. No jiggly bits here.

Which is to say, of course all TheBarbarian Fancy Dresses And/Or Robes™-Brand gowns (and/or robes) are equipped with very reliable built-in brassieres, designed to always provide flawless support to Strong Female Protagonists (and others), no matter the physically taxing situations they may get into during their adventures. Probably a good thing, considering all the jogging NWN characters do.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

The only compromise I can come up is to give the Expert NPC class all skills as class skills except for animal empathy, perform, and use magic device which are hard-coded. Creating packages is futile because of the huge # of combinations possible. Therefore levelling up an Expert is always going to have to be done by the builder either by hand or by a carefully created script (if that is even possible).

As far as the Urdunnir are concerned... the Expert is an NPC class and therefore not available to PCs. So this wouldn't help them unless a PC had an Urdunnir as a henchman.

But in the final analysis, it would realistically only take me an hour, two at the most to create and test the Expert NPC class. So if it could benefit anyone... yeah, I can do it.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

Today's gown has got things going on, in the best possible way:

I've been setting up these things as prefabs under Armor -> Clothing, by the way. They are all ridiculously expensive though, because they're all +5 Charisma.

The butt-metal one gives spell immunity against Bigby's Grasping Hand. laugh

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

The gowns are looking good! Are you going to support the large phenotype as well?

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

:'D !

Yep, already am. It's the same robe mesh as in the Underdark Societies CCC - both genders, all (standard) races, phenos 0, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8. Large, riding, jousting, the whole shebang.

I'll put some different races and phenos into the preview pictures of the next one.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

Any chance of robes with noble motifs - lions, dragons, eagles, unicorns etc.? For example a white robe with a golden lions head in the chest area or a blue oriental dragon that wraps around a green robe.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

Challenge accepted.

I'll see if I can manage to draw a lion head that doesn't look like it's had it's mane styled by somebody's six-year-old nieces. No guarantees.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

Dunno if this is like one of the suggestions TR had in mind or not, but it was one of my favorite GW outfits for my Mesmer, back in the day:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Mesmer_Elite_Canthan_armor_f.jpg

The model's different, but maybe it can help serve as some minor inspiration.

-Dave

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

It's close but I would have it rotated so that the head was in view and I was thinking a more sinuous dragon that wrapped around the body in a spiral fashion.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

I better go make about twelve backups right now.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

Wow!  I love that!  Beautiful work sir!

-Dave

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

As we are talking nobility and above here, I figured that they needed somewhere impressive to live in. Now as I still (without collaboration) only work in 2D, I have created some loadscreens (just got 2da and put in hak to do). In addition to 7 buildings I have also created 3 more abstract loadscreens (for a total of 10) that to my mind suggest nobility. As I couldn't get Dropbox to work I have put the demo picture in a thread on the new forums here. To see them all you need to hover your mouse pointer over the image. This reveals a dark bar at the bottom of the image. Clicking on the this bar reveals the full image.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

Added to hak, tested and now sent in.

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
DrA

The Noble's Vanitywink (pun intended) - work in progress, still requires some fixes.

In game:

And from toolset:

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Jester character-creature made from a free model at "models-resource.com":

https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/tonyhawksunderground2/model/...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Noble lady character-creature, made from a free model at "cadnav.com":http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-39022.html

She uses fencing animations from "Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0)" by "Ragnarok_mr4":

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
NWNJade

This stuff is fantastic! Where can we download it?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Proleric
Proleric's picture

When this month's challenge is complete, TAD will upload it as usual, I expect. Watch out for the announcement.

NWN and DAO adventures at http://proleric.com/

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Dang straight. This ride (this CCC) ain't over yet!

Four more robes; lion sigil, lion-tailed-bearded-unicorn sigil, unicorn sigil, no sigil. No mirrored versions (yet?).

I've resorted to tracing the lion off of a CC0 photograph on pixabay in the end, because I'm apparently doomed to only be able to produce lion heads for lion-themed boy band logos. That, and Conan the Lion King, who is as terrible as he is hilarious.

Also, a fifth for MOAR VARIETY:

Up next: Experiments with square and/or asymmetrical necklines.

@shadguy

<3!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Empyre65

All your sigils are sinister, facing to the left of the person wearing it, which is used to signify evil.

Other than that, they all look great.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Yay! And yep. I'm putting off mirroring them until later, because it's boring and repetetive. Unpaid intern needed, apply within.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Hidalgo, or noble character-creature made from a free model at "http://www.cadnav.com", it uses the fencing animations from "Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0)" by "Ragnarok_mr4":

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
DrA

Mirror, mirror on the wall... - or, the vanity continues:

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
DrA

I've made a second, bigger version of the hanging mirror, to complete this submision. For portrait use suitable mirror portrain (from OC), please.

here's the download link: https://sabercathost.com/9dcX/nobles_vanity.7z (0)

And the screenshot to compare the sizes in game:

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Gomp attack! Good thing we have some longbowmen on our side!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Even the journeyman hammersmith who recently joined the local militia gets into the act.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Success! One dead hobgoblin! Good thing he's an Expert rather than a Commoner... thanks to The Grymlorde who just submitted "Aristocrat, Experts, & Warrior NPC classes (+commoner fix)" to this month's CCC.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Of course the exploding goblin would curse The Grymlorde's name if he was not... that is to say, exploding.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Now if only there was a replacement for the goofy looking NWN armour with something more historical looking.... Wait! There is! It can be found at this link!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

This one's pretty plain, but very low-cut in the front to make up for it:

Fingers crossed for one more dress within the time limit, but no guarantees.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

I have posted my first blog entry on this site, NPC Classes and How to Use Them which explains how to use these NPC classes, contrasts the D&D 3rd edition versus the AD&D design philosophy of NPCs and humanoids. And finally some thoughts on modeling historical societies and fighting styles.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%

Pages