You are here

Custom Content Challenge: March 2017: Blast from the Past

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon's picture
Custom Content Challenge: March 2017: Blast from the Past

The theme for this month's challenge: "Blast from the Past":

Make a single new thing that fits a past Custom Content Challenge theme.

This theme was suggested by Carcerian.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by April 1st, 2017. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (Hall of Fame PW and the origin of almost all my works)

NWN Custom Content: The Complete List (90+ entries, including 18 Hall of Fame award winners)

Self-Promotional Honesty: If you have opinions on stuff I've made, or if you use any of it (as a player or builder), I like comments/votes/feedback...so do other content makers and builders. Keep us motivated. :)

------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

Link for a list of past themes in the theme description and here: http://www.neverwinternights.info/cc_ccc.htm

Announced/Intended Projects:

Manta (creature model) by Mecheon (Nov. 2011)

Rohch (creature models) by Mecheon (Jun. 2013)

Emailed/Downloaded Projects:

Poor Interiors (tileset models) by DrA (Jun. 2011)

Force Wyrm (prefab) by StraightOuttaAvernus (Aug. 2011)

Nude Torso & Pelvis (body parts) by StraightOuttaAvernus (Oct. 2015)

Maps (inventory icons) by Tarot Redhand (Sep. 2010)

Mushrooms (inventory icons) by Tarot Redhand (Feb. 2013)

Holy Water Fonts (placeable models) by The Amethyst Dragon (Aug. 2010)

Circlets and Masks (VFX models) by TheBarbarian (Jan./Feb. 2011)

Corinthian Helmets (VFX models) by TheBarbarian (Jan./Feb. 2011)

Half-Dragon Heads (head models) by TheBarbarian (May 2013)

Helmet Items (helmet models) by TheBarbarian (Jan./Feb. 2011)

Pirate Hats and Bandanas (VFX models) by TheBarbarian (Sep. 2010)

Viking Helmets (VFX models) by TheBarbarian (Jan./Feb. 2011)

Dragon Riders (creature models) by TheOneBlackRider (May 2013)
  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
The Amethyst Dragon

I will be making a basin for blessing holy water, to fit the very first month's theme (August 2010).

If I'm making something for a past theme, I might as well go all the way back. After all, I didn't get started making things for the CCC until the month after that, so it'll be new to me. :)

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

I'll go for Jan/Feb 2011 - "New Helms, Hats, Hoods, Hair Accessories, or other head decorations", and use the occasion to finally finish up some hoods/helmets I started making a while back. Including, but not limited to:

A small handful of helmet-related requests would be welcome, if somebody's got a hankering for something specific.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
DrA

About http://www.neverwinternights.info/cc_ccc.htm

Some links (for older CCC) lead to old Bioware forum (closed) sad

Good, there's stil Catalogue, mainained by Tarot Redhand here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/ccc-catalogue

BTW, has the Bioware forum been  archivized (user - friendly way,  like NWN Omnibus, with Doc Fetcher)?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand
Tarot Redhand's picture

The Bioware Forum (last one) can be found on the wayback machine here. Be warned it can be slow at times and you may wish to adjust the month/year at the top of the page. If you are not interested in the discussions use my catalogue. It has hyper links to each ccc's page on the vault, so you can check out what was already made.

I will have a tiny announcement on something I did as an addendum for a particular month's ccc a bit later when I (A) find where I put it and (B) find which month/year it was for wink.

BTW if anyone is interested the original nwn.bioware.com site is also archived at the wayback machine here.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
The Amethyst Dragon

Yeah, links in yellow are to the old bioware forum. I'll correct them once someone puts up the old forum entries so they can be reliably read again. Links in blue on that site, if they don't have a red x denoting a link to the old IGN Vault, work just fine. Links to the download pages and list of contents for those months are accurate.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand
Tarot Redhand's picture

Just sent in 7 icons that update my entry for the February 2013: Plants ccc (makes my entry for that month a round 50 IIRC). Note I did try to get these to AD before, but they disappeared into the ether. Figured this was the opportunity to try again.

(If that picture disappears mid-month I'll just have to try again)

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
modderpunk

Those masks look very nice already. Would love even more mask option though i have no specific requests. Also I hope someone wants to revisit the ravenloft ccc.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy
quevy's picture

@TheBarbarian It would really have one or two models from Corsair wearable hat, cloak / robe / vfx

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Something like this?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus
StraightOuttaAvernus's picture

Let's add some open faced helms.

Inb4 I get booed

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy
quevy's picture
It would be perfect

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

'kay. "More mask variations", "a robe and/or cloak-based pirate hat" it is, then.

@StraightOuttaAvernus

What kind of thing are you thinking of? I'm pretty sure that actually helmet-like things would clip like crazy with most existing head models. Face masks with closed fronts and open backs are probably the least problematic in this regard, but that would kind of ruin the whole open-faced bit. ::headscratch::

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand
Tarot Redhand's picture

You might want to check out the September 2010: Pirates ccc. Also instead of robe/cloak based I would suggest that a head aligned vfx (see Jan/Feb 2011: Head Decorations ccc, Aligned Head VFX, Community VFX Project for examples) is probably a better solution. If you are unsure how to do this have you seen Rolo's youtube tutorial (actually available on here)?

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
quevy
quevy's picture

It would be very nice to also have a bandanna like this

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
paphjort
paphjort's picture

@TheBarbarian  Those hoods/helmet look stunning. How about a couple of viking Heads/Helmets? Maybe just variations to the ones in project Q, so eveerybody doesn't look the same...

Maybe a new female viking helmet as well.

Cheers, Pap

Billedresultat for viking helmet

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Rawwwk!

OK. Yielded to popular demand and/or reason and good sense and looked into head-aligned vfxs. Please tell me that this hadn't been done already and the tutorial wasn't just outdated, because I went and...

... calibrated NWNArmory transforms to automatically scale and move a head-aligned model from male human, as presented in the head-aligned vfx tutorial, to all other races, both genders, both phenos. Now you just need to set up the model once, for male human, and run it through NWNArmory, like you would with other armor parts. Result is not as flawless as doing it by hand, but the time and effort cost is now much, much lower.

Gonna test and adjust the transforms a little more while making the other head-aligned headwear this month. As you can see on the half-orcs in the front row, they could still take a bit more pushing around here and there - on the other hand, oversized hoods are compatible with more hairstyles and differently-positioned heads. I'll see how they do with other models.

@paphjort

Yay. :D

Can do. Head-aligned vfx as well? Or an actual helmet-helmet?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

I notice that dragons was a past theme (^:

I have resolved to submit a creature prefab. Because it is something everyone needs.

Current development head of the Anderfell PW project, habitual player of halfdragons, and novice NWscripter

"Keep it simple, stupid" 

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
paphjort
paphjort's picture

@TheBarbarian  Both sounds good. I have no experience with the vfx helmets, but if you can make it work, then great! 

But pls no horns on the viking helmets!  :-D

Have you seen the Project Q ones? If you haven't, then I'll post screenshots of them. 

/Paphjort

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Yes please, to the screenshots. :D

Piratey tricornes and bandanas (I couldn't see the picture you were trying to link, quevy, so I just went with... something):

Best used with bald heads, but somewhat clipping-resistant. The tricorne more so than the bandana.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

So I'm going to muck about with this a bit. Welcome to Mecheon's Mix n Match, where I loosely tie together two themes to make thing that could concievably apply to both!

Working on a thing for Reboot/Remake and Underwater Stuff at the moment, thanks to my 'Technically was a member of the CCP project' powers... Also may help out TAD with the CEP stuff given the fact it just has a black texture at the moment

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
paphjort
paphjort's picture

These are ones from Project Q that I use: Not helmets but heads. More variations or different takes on viking heads/helmets would be very welcome, especially longhaired ones. I imagine that if you do them as vfx, its difficult with long hair? 

UlRjgLe.jpg

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand
Tarot Redhand's picture

I don't know for sure but isn't it somewhat problematic to have heads as head aligned vfx? I mean what do you align it to?

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

@paphjort

It depends on the head model you use with it. Long hair that goes straight down, no bangs, does just fine with top-cap helmets like this, provided that they're a little bit oversized. Anything that sticks out too far will clip through. Same thing with the position of the eyes - the heads vary, so some will look better than others.

I'll make a couple more variants.

@Tarot Redhand

skies below

Now that you say it... this could be used to make conjoined-twins extra-heads :o

like the ettin has

... :o

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

oh no. We've given Barbarian an idea.

Anyway, this stuff's looking nice so far! Think you could do a quick Corinthian up? And while I'm at it, seeing as there was a custom content challenge for dragons a bit back, I find a significant lack of half-draconic heads and it disappoints me almost as much as the fact that there is no blue-dragonhorn VFX.

m-maybe I want to make low-poly bipedal unicornfreaks. 

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

I made a blue dragon horn VFX a couple years ago (screenshot). I just didn't publicly post them. I suppose if people really want them I could post them to the vault. They wouldn't be part of this month's CCC (because they're not new creations, I only do stuff I haven't previously made for the CCC).

If it's just unicorn horn VFX you want, I posted those a long time ago: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/costume-vfx-head-aligned

Now, if someone were to make various half-dragon head models, I'm sure those would go over quite well around here.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheOneBlackRider
TheOneBlackRider's picture

This is a cool idea, because it got me going on something, which has been sitting on my HD unfinished for a long time so I checked it out again! Thanks!

OK, this fits either into the Dragonlance or the Dragons CCC.

I always wantetd to have the (kind of) mounted dragons with the awesome dragon scale armor of The Amethyst Dragon and the Dragonlances of  Shemsu-Heru:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/model/custom-content-challenge...

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/custom-content...

So I started to tweak one "mounted" model of the Dragon CCC, added the lance and the armor:

Just, what I wanted, BUT now comes the drawback...

It seems, that the amount of faces, which get added by TAD's awesome Dragon Scale Armor (just look at them in wireframe mode within a Gmax/Blender) together with the dragon model kills the engine... :( One creature works. As soon as I create a 2. one or transform the player's appearance into that of the mounted dragon, the whole NWN program freezes!

I'm bug hunting atm. The model is clean modeled, sanity is fine on export, no shadows atm.

I completely removed TAD's armor and created a scale texture based on TAD's  texture. I copied the original (simple) rider chest to use the front and back of that chest for the scale texture. So it's more or less the source model with the additional dragonlance and a simple extra mesh for the torso (plus the helmet, which replaced a head, but that was working on the "red mounted" of the Dragon CCC).

Things have improved. I now can have a NPC mounted dragon moving around and have the player transform into the same appearance AS LONG AS I USE THE KEYBOARD ONLY! As soon as I use the mouse to rotate the scene, the program freezes again! :(

Plan was to do supply all mounted models with a lance, maybe even create Dragon Highlords... So I hope, I can nail this down and it doesn't cost me too much time, so I can contribute something...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

Yeah, I went kind of overboard in making that dragonscale armor. I made and placed each scale, then combined the meshes...so it's not just a texture on low poly pieces, they've actually got dimensions.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheOneBlackRider

Yes, quiet an impressive piece of work!

But since I removed all those and still have problems, maybe they were not the cause to this. It's just a guess, that it's the polycount. Well, next test will be to apply the texture directly to the chest.

... does the texture size also stress the engine in the way I decribed it? I mean, the dragon and the rider use the pretty low res original textures. Thes scale texture is now 512x512... On the other hand, I never had those kind of problems with higher res textures. Well, much to test! :)

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

If there's ever been a CCC suited for being lazy and dragging some unpublished old stuff out of the basement, it would have to be this one - it's a double Blast from the Past. Plus it'd be fun to see more of the stuff we've been hoarding. That blue dragon rider looks wicked.

Like so? ^ Going by a google image search, there seems to be a lot of variety in Corinthian helmets.

What kind of half-dragons? The human-face-with-extra-scales-and-horns kind, or the this-is-a-humanoid-lizard kind? I have been meaning to make some argonianesque lizard heads for the heads pack. Setting up a base face to multiply later on isn't a bad idea at all.

Best focus on getting those helmets fixed up before getting too sidetracked, though.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Both are good actually. I like mine to be a touch more on the humanesque side, but I know that I'm a minority there *sips tea*

Also -- Amethyst, yes, release that horn pls I must have this.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Get me a picture of the kind of thing you mean and I'll see what I can do. Also, I've got a couple of horned humanoids already - maybe some of them qualify.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
The Amethyst Dragon
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand
Tarot Redhand's picture

So how about some antlers? No they don't all look the same - compare moose to caribou to Red deer. Nice horns AD BTW.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Thanks TAD.

As for your inquiry Barbarian -- I managed to dig through a googlesearch to save you some time and filtered out (mostly) good sources for inspiration for what I'd want out of a halfer head. It isn't quite just 'horns' -- if you look at some of the more official source material, there's some changes to facial structure even on ones that don't just outright get a dragon-y head! Black dragon halfers get sunken features, so on so forth.

This is a somewhat diverse spectrum to be fair that ranges just about from 'half-normal with scales around the ridges and sharp jawbones' to outright abhuman abominations, though; and I mean- as long as you're wanting to do some that are less-than human anyway, figured I might include some of those too...

http://imgur.com/a/baBFQ

Obviously not asking for all, or even 'most' of these, but this is just sort of to fuel the furnace of inspiration for he whom knows not what he is doing.

EDIT: Whoops. Dragged that entire folder there... <_<'

Gimmie a few I'll fix that link with only relevant shit this time FIXED IT

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

this is the most up-my-alley thing in the history of up-my-alley things

I'll set up a base head for those 3/4ths draconic ones for now, and keep "somebody is totally into it if you want to slap horns and spikes and ridges onto more heads" in mind for future heads pack updates.

because I do

I want to slap horns and spikes and ridges onto more heads

I want to slap horns and spikes and ridges onto all of the heads

I tell myself not to do it because heads with horns and spikes and ridges on them are not suited for as many purposes and settings as heads without horns and spikes and ridges

but I want to

I've always wanted to

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

*Rubs hands together* excellent....

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Two half-dragon heads sent in.

Male only, so nobody'll be laying any eggs. They seem like sweethearts, but I'm pretty sure they bite as well as spit acid/fire, respectively.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

w-woah that was fast.
Those are also great and I am pleased that I have inspired this.

also that I've inspired the creation of more much-needed heads with horns and ridges all over.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Empyre65
Empyre65's picture

Those heads would work fine for female. In fact, I thought they were female until I read the words beneath the picture.

"Never laugh in the face of a live dragon." - Bilbo Baggins

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
StraightOuttaAvernus

What they said! Just port them straight over to a fem :D

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheOneBlackRider

Cool stuff here!

Regarding my progress: Darn! I spent (too) much time during my morning coffees on this issue! I’m pretty sure now, that I hit a maximal polygon issue here!

I already removed TADs scales due to the high number of additional faces. I now went here for a simple single texture showing TADs scales on the original torso mesh of the rider, so no additional faces here.

As soon as I add the lance, things get weird!  I am now at the point, that I created a super simple low poly version of the lance (reducing the face count from 232 down to 24 faces - but still using that cool lance texture of Shemsu-Heru) and still, NWN behaves in a strange way... It tended to freeze IG during movement, especially when using the mouse to rotate the view. It gets better, if only one mounted dragon model is in the area (had one NPC model and the player PC with the changed appearance). If not IG, the game froze on exiting the game (before you see the menu)!

When I remove the lance, things seem to work well.

Now, with that low poly lance, it seems to be working, at least if there is only one model (eg. the player) with the shape of this mounted dragon. But the game still freezes upon ending it - well, now you at least see the menu - but still: It’s frozen! Seems to be an issue, when the engine wants to end the rendering...

The whole model (and lance) are Cleanmodeled. CM doesn’t find anything more to “repair” and Sanity upon export is also OK. Shadows are off. I have no idea on what else to do here.

I’m a bit frustrated not be able to get this fixed 100%... So, I think, I have to dump my original plan to have models with dragon highlord helmets - which would add more faces again. So plan is to have only the torso with TADs armor texture, that simple lance and maybe I manage to get some other dragon colors with lanced riders...

If anybody has an idea or has a way to track down, what causes this “freezing” (somebody wrote something about Linux doing a log file? - Edit: Found it! It was CalSailX
https://neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-custom-con...), I’d be happy to send out this beta model I have.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

Thought on the lance, since I don't have the model itself to check out: Is the texture the lance uses powers of 2 in both dimensions (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, or even 2048 pixels)? I know that the game can sometimes use badly sized images, but performs much better when things are as they are supposed to be.

I just figured the lance seems to be an issue even at lower poly, so it might be something simple like texture size being off.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheOneBlackRider

Thanks, TAD!

And the lance texture from Shemsu-Heru 256x256 - all well here...

Well, if you have the time and energy, I can send you my beta model and test mod.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Cluttering with more creative fuel: I saw a Song of Ice and Fire, The Elder Scrolls, and Gothic on the list.

For the Elder Scrolls, here: http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/alduin-137-animations-skyrim-72428.html
This is a free model for conversion if possible.

For "A Song of Ice and Fire", a copy of the hound's helm would be sick. https://all3dp.com/app/uploads/2016/05/Hound_s_Head_Helmet_large.jpg

-and for Gothic... let's get more historically fitting armor. https://store.donanimhaber.com/d6/8d/f9/d68df98b3e8f9ec8381a0fbab49e9860...

While I'm citing Assassin's Creed for sources (That last armor ^^; ), can we count a cloak like this baller-arse one under "Rogue Stuff", or....? http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/6/6c/Ezio-plai...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Hood-Helmets sent in, with a couple more mask texture variants:

Also added female versions of the half-dragons, jumpstarting our inevitable enslavement by androgynous lizardpeople.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

I gotta say Barbarian, those dragonheads could work for Dragonborn if someone where to do so. Chuck in the other various dragon heads people have made in the past and you've got a almost? ready race, ready to go!

... Except that'd also involve someone upscaling the human model to a smidgin bigger and reskinning the entire thing scaley just to dump my 4th edition love on everyone, but, well, me and 4E

Anywho, manta ray is ready to go, but I'm going to keep working. I've got a few things needing to come out to the light. A few.. Retro things

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian
TheBarbarian's picture

Regrettably, I have no idea how to go about scaling dynamic creatures, or setting up new races. But if somebody who does know how that stuff works is interested in that project, I'd be willing to make matching scaly body textures. And also interested in learning how it's done. There are only going to be more demihuman heads as time passes - setting up races and bodies to go with them would be pretty neat.

Also, woo for manta ray! :D

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65
Empyre65's picture

"Also added female versions of the half-dragons, jumpstarting our inevitable enslavement by androgynous lizardpeople."

Maybe you could make the male version look more male if you made the snout broader.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Zwerkules
Zwerkules's picture

I want to add a palace terrain to the Arabian Nights tileset, but I've only got the last week of march to work on it, so I'm not sure if I can get it finished.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%

Pages