You are here

Custom Content Challenge: July 2017: All Things Aerial

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Challenge: July 2017: All Things Aerial

The theme for this month's challenge: "All Things Aerial":

Everything from birds to airships to floating islands, to whatever a medieval airport would look like. Could be steampunk, or just high fantasy (think Skies of Arkadia... which was more like high-seas in the beginning). Certainly room for any sort of flying object, but the ideal outcome would be enough key content to make a module that is convincingly airborne. Or at least to have more than one option for an airship.

This theme was suggested by Verilazic.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by August 1st, 2017. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (The origin of almost all my works.)
My NWN Works: The Complete List (120+ entries...You want this stuff.)
CEP 2.63 (Oh, this? Just a little something I've been working on since 2014.)
------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
The Amethyst Dragon

reserved space

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy

I'm working on a series of 6 4x4 tiled tiles to flip and create a large 8x24 tile, they are to be used with goggles to make the idea of being on a floating island at high altitudes.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
DrA

@quevy,

This looks great. Do you intend to animate textures /i.e. clouds/?

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy

I do not know if my knowledge allows me to succeed in doing this.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

I'll try to make some feathered wings based on the demon wings supermodel, because I like the animations of those wings better than the flapping-while-running of the angel wings.

@quevy

Love the idea! Backdrops like these would improve a lot of areas.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Symphony

Alright, the time has come, I'm going to do a challenge.

Here's a few of the things I'm considering right now:

• HD Skybox suite:
    • Kind of cheating, because I'm already working on this, but I wasn't making them with tops/bottoms, so it might be nice to finish them up and make a special edition for camera-hacking fliers! I suppose to see the bottom though, you'd need to have transparent tiles.
  • Transparent tiles and edge tiles, for a variety of tilesets! (not to be confused with pit tiles!)
  • Publish-level revamp of an HD tnp_bird override I made, with newer animations, and perhaps other types of birds.
  • Miniturized worldmap-esque tileset, with elevated walkmesh! (or rather, high tiles, with lowered visible tile models)
  • Expanded cloud shadow placeables, with more sizes and types.
  • Flying cloud placeable for distance decoration.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
CaveGnome
These are great project ideas! If someone want to help with flying creatures, there is really a bad need for acceptable flying giant eagles or condors. What we have now in this category is completly outdated. Those very old bird models (2002/2003) desesperatly need a complete overaul (the flapping animation is awful).

CG

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Some phoenix creatures, made with models from cadnav.com. A pair of phoenix, golden and red, a fenghuang aka "the chinese phoenix" and a houhou aka "the japanese phoenix" (Lo5R style). You could miss some flame emitters. To be honest I don't know too much about how emitters work, also I didn't like how the flame vfx looks on the models, to me they don't look as part of the creatures. So alternatively I have use some scripts to add a glowing pulse aura to the creatures; to me that looks much better...

You can watch the script efect, and the creatures working in the game in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaugqAMhkA0&feature=youtu.be

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
MonsterTrainer

Excellent idea, quevy!

+1

Do you got this from diablo 2 lord of destruction?

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

Anyone else having issues with images?

And if anyone's drawn out for ideas, we've needed a Skywhale/Aerwhale/Windfish for NWN for ages. I also wouldn't say no to a Roc or a Cloud Ray. I may have... Ridiculous ideas down that path that may or may not happen

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Symphony

I totally imagined making some sort of skywhale or Matrix squid robot kind of gravity defying creature on the way home from work yesterday.

I'm going to try to rehost my images with a different provider than Google, or make an album with a link.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65

I see Symphony's images just fine. It is Shemsu-Heru's image that appears as a big minus symbol.

EDIT: The image is working now.

"Never laugh in the face of a live dragon." - Bilbo Baggins

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

I can't see any of symphony's images and if I copy the image address into the address bar I get a blank page with an error message along the lines of "address doesn't map to object".

Little suggestion how about a moonbridge? These are solid bridges that just happen to be invisible.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Hekatoncheires

I would love to see some good giant owls and eagles. NWN has only had these rescaled birds for so long and that doesn't feel right.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Some vulture creatures, one of "common" size, one giant size and a two-headed roc size. They have been made with a texture and a model modified from an original by Reiner Prokein:

http://www.reinerstilesets.de/new-3d-mesh-vulture/

They include two new simple animation-sets for the vulture and 2-headed vulture.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
CaveGnome

Wow! Thanks Shemsu-Heru ! This will be really handy. I have various areas in need of giant vultures...

CG

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65

Shemsu-Heru, again I am only seeing a minus sign in a circle, instead of your images. However, I can now see your earlier image that I couldn't see before.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Empyre65

Sorry, I  had checked it and I think that they works now!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

On one hand, I love it. On the other hand, technically your traditional vulture can't carry away large prey and you'd need something like a bearded vulture/ossifrage/lambhawk or an eagleish bird to carry away an elephant :p

I'm sorry. I'm a horrible animal nerd.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
MonsterTrainer

Good job, Shemsu-Heru!

+1

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Mecheon: Eagles and eagleish Rocs are in coming.

@MonsterTrainer:  If you feel in a mood, i could use some eagle and vulture setsounds.....

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
MonsterTrainer

@Shemsu-Heru

Deal!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Empyre65

Yes, it works now. They look ugly in exactly the way they are supposed to. Good work!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Eagles, giant eagles and rocs, made with models from "cadnav.com"

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
MonsterTrainer

Perfect work, Shemsu-Heru!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Giant and common owls creatures, made with a free model from "deviantart.com":

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Osca-for-XNALara-265081516

PS: I would apreciate an owl's set-sound!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
MonsterTrainer

@ Shemsu-Heru

Ok, I´ll see what I can do! Soundsets shouldn´t be a bigger problem. I´ll add some wing flaps to the large bird soundsets aswell. They need an extra entry in the "footsteptype.2da". That´s gonna be cool!

:Kas: Remember that owls don´t make wing flap sounds! :Kas:

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Hekatoncheires

These are excellent, Shemsu-Heru! They've been long-needed for Summon Monster and Nature's Ally III spells.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@MonsterTrainer: My owls are using the bat's steps, witn are more quiet.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
MonsterTrainer

If someone here is interested in making an evil, pale, wooly moth.... I got a soundset handy.

Some pics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella
https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/visit/whats-on/exhibitions/bug-lab/discover-g...
http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/foto/bombyx-mori-silkmoth-mounted-femal...

The animation set could be taken from the feary dragon I guess...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
CaveGnome

@Shemsu-Heru: Great birds !!! On a single, smooth pass you solved a long enduring giant bird shortage, and that's no small accomplishment. The eagles look spectacular and beautiful, and the giant owl is a very welcome addition. Cloud kingdoms here we come...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Hekatoncheires

So, I'll throw these ideas out there: griffon, hippogrif. :)

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy

I'm thinking of a different approach.

Instead of photographs, use tileset photographs similar to this to make placement visible from above, what do you think?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Got the wings done in time. :D

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Griffon creature plus its armored version and a hippogriff. They use a new set of animations based on the sphinx animations but with animated wings, based on the wyvern wings. Premade creatures include the "flying" script from HOU. They have ben made from free models at "cadnav.com" and "models-resource.com":

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-38876.html

https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/harrypottertheprisonerofazka...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Empyre65

@Shemsu-Heru: Maybe there is a problem with the site you are using to host your images, but every single image looks broken to me.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Empyre65: Probably it was my fault. I have changed of hosting site recently and I'm still familiarizing myself with the new one. Try again I think it works now....

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Eönwë

I could make good use of giant eagles. Looking forward for a hak file smiley

"Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo"

Untold Tales of Tolkien II

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65

Yes, I see them now, and they look awesome!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Shemsu-heru, your work is quite actually some of the vault's best <-<

well done :3

Current development head of the Anderfell PW project, habitual player of halfdragons, and novice NWscripter

"Keep it simple, stupid" 

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Siz

Great job guys!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand