You are here

Custom Content Challenge: January 2018: Cultism Is In

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Challenge: January 2018: Cultism Is In

The theme for this month's challenge: "Cultism Is In":

Most fantasy games have some kind of cult, evil or otherwise - druid cults, we-sacrifice-people-to-evil-gods-cults, werewolf cults, happiness-through-abnegation-cults, we're-all-facelessly-identical-cults... give them all the blood-filled bowls and pools and sacrificial animals they could ever need. Sacrificial pit tiles, skull totems. Jars with faces in them. Wearable masks, hoods, robes. Painted drums and gongs. Cultist creature models, and creature models for the sinister overlords they might worship. Bone daggers. Mystical wall-decorations for the secret temples. Secret doors, to lead to secret temples. Book items full of gibberish ranting and sinister prophecies. Floor triggers that send sinister messages to the player. Chanting sounds. Internal organ inventory icons. Secret identification symbols - on amulets, rings, walls, floors, furniture, bodypart tattoos.

This theme was suggested by TheBarbarian.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by February 1st, 2018. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (The origin of almost all my works.)
My NWN Works: The Complete List (120+ entries...You want this stuff.)
CEP 2.63 (Oh, this? Just a little something I've been working on since 2014.)
------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

We need a wicker-man golem!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

For this month's challenge, I am going to go out on a limb. I am going to challenge myself and may very well fail... miserably. I will attempt to create a new character class:

The Occultist

A prestige class for 1.69 and core class for the Enhanced Edition. The Occultist is an "investigator" who can learn spells as feats. What I'm going to do is to create feats out of some spells. Each occult feat will require a minimum charisma, intelligence, and wisdom score as well as level in order to acquire that feat. Once they have that feat, they can invoke that ability as many times per day as they wish. For example, the "torchlight" feat will be the 0-level spell "light" but it will require a score of at least 10 in charisma, intelligence, and wisdom as well as one level in Occultist; whereas Summon Creature II will require 3 levels of Occultist and a score of 12 in charisma, intelligence, and wisdom.

I have no idea how balanced or unbalanced this class will be or which spells will mechanically work best. I'm going straight for Cthulhu Mythos, Hyboria, and Averoigne flavor!

Oh and I'm thinking that the class skills will be Lore, Search , and Spellcraft.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Empyre65

The sounds like a nice class idea. I would suggest having more than 3 class skills. Ideas for skills to add would be some of these: Concentration, Craft Trap, Heal, Set Trap, and either Spot or Listen, but definitely not all of those.

"Never laugh in the face of a live dragon." - Bilbo Baggins

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

I can whip up some bone daggers.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Thanks for the suggestions, Empyre65. Rather than taking over this thread, I've created a new thread here to discuss the ongoing development of the Occultist core class this month.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

I'll go for a "bag-over-the-head"-helmet for kidnapping victims for starters. There'll be use for that in plenty of settings.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

And evil Idol placeable, made from a free model at "cadnav.com": http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-40938.html

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Two new idol placeables made from free models at: http://www.cadnav.com

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

One thoroughly unspectacular burlap-sack-over-the-head helmet. Cloth 1 (sack), Cloth 2 (handprint), Leather 1 (rope).

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Zwerkules

How about paper bags for little cranes that are ashamed of their daddy?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

Let none say I am unsupportive of our species' age-old tradition of putting things on our heads in the name of religion.

And thus, the absolutely terrifying Cult of the Paper Bag was born.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

(double post, blegh!)

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
dafena

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
thirdmouse

Oh m'gosh! The diversity of paper bag hats is inspiring. Now that is a cult!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
JFK

Is... is this somre sort of SACKS cult?!!!!!!!????!!!

Okay, please accept my apology, I bag you.

-JFK

My other  sword is a +5 Holy Avenger!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Proleric
Proleric's picture

Anyone remember Bagism

A cult mentioned in "Give Peas A Chance"...

EDIT ... certain proof of time travel is that Lennon stole that song title from a famous sign on the M25 motorway that wasn't even built yet ... 

NWN and DAO adventures at http://proleric.com/

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

I'll bet that that totes is the case, JFK.

Added a couple more for variety, with credits to Tarot for suggesting most of them.

Bagism. That's brilliant. It's basically internet anonymity, too. I'd subscribe to this religion.

I can picture the paper tote bagists in NWN already, just standing around debating with eachother. Makes doubly much sense in modules that use a lot of charisma, race, or gender checks in dialogues.

Wonder what's going on in their underground lairs. Smiling bagpeople baking cookies? People being skinned alive? Both?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

we'll all be wearin our baggies, huarache sandals, too

Beach Boys - Surfin USA 1963

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Zwerkules

Wow! If this is what happens when I leave a stupid comment, I wonder what happens if I say something meaningful. Not that there is a big chance that will ever happen.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

You should know by now - Careful what you wish for because you just might get it.... Mwuhahahah...

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
dafena

What is a cult without the most cultiest woman of all?

And her archnemesis?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Something-Spicy

just like my luck to stumble on that paper bag cult before bedtime. oh well, i dont need to sleep anyways!!!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

I have made an announcement on what I have done for this ccc over on the new forums here. I am not going to repeat my self, so if you want to know what it is, you'll have to click that link.

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Update

The Occultist core class is coming along just fine. So far I've converted 50+ spells into feats (incantations) spread over 10 power levels (spell levels). Preliminary testing is looking good as well. Several incantation (spells) have been given new Mythos style names (some from d20 Call of Cthulhu).

Commentary

At this point I am convinced that the Occultist class works best in a game where there are no other spellcasters of any kind (cleric, druid, paladin, wizard, &c.). Examples being d20 Modern, d20 Medieval, d20 Call of Cthulhu, Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages, et cetera.

Also, I am going to include a modified Cls_Feat.2da file for fighters and rogues so that they can learn incantations if they meet the stringent requirements (Cha, Int, & Wis 10 + spell level and ranks in Lore & Spellcraft of 3 + (2 x spell level)). Which means theoretically, a 5th level fighter or rogue could learn the Light incantation by spending a feat and maxing out ranks in Lore and Spellcraft. The Light incantation allows for casting the Light cantrip an unlimited number of times per day. But would a fighter or rogue do that? Or would they just take a level in Occultist instead? Or just make sure they adventure with an Occultist? I don't know, but this system of incantations give fighters and rogues a way to acquire some spells without taking a level or more in a spellcasting class, provided that they have the ability scores, skill points, and feats to spend.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
TheBarbarian

edit: what. nooo. Why do the pictures not show up?

Trying to upload pictures via imgur now.

https://imgur.com/a/cQWHZ

But "tablecloth helmet with spikes and chains" really sums it up just fine.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
quevy

I'm curious to see, unfortunately, the images are not visible.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
The Amethyst Dragon

Greetings, all. Just a friendly reminder that you (and I) have about a day and a half (plus a few day's leeway) left to make something and send it in.

Yes, that means I'm going to start work on my submission tomorrow. Probably tomorrow night. Right after I finish this other thing I'm working on and the inevitable two tangents from that.

Is there a Cult of the Unsatisfied Builder? Yeah, I just wanted to change one texture...last Thursday afternoon...and now I've altered multiple dozens of textures (and quite a few models) in at least seven tilesets, made about a dozen placeables, and made minor .set file adjustments for my PW.

Since I'm making a bone dagger for making your sacrifices, do y'all prefer a straight pointy one or a wavy-but-less practical one?

New CCC threads after this month will be found on the new forums (the link at the top that's said "pending/new" forever).

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Just a sample of two secret spells hidden in NWN that are now available as incantations! Just be careful, as these are but two examples of spells players were not meant to know!

Occultist core class and 100+ incantations are done! I'm just working on the documentation. I fully expect to post the complete package by end of day Pacific Standard Time.

NB: Credit for the discovery of these spells goes to the NWN Wiki. Thanks TheKrit!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Another Unearthed Spell that Players Were Not Meant to Use:

Evil Blight
Caster Level: Occultist 5
Innate Level: 5
School: Transmutation
Descriptor(s): Divine
Component(s): Verbal
Range: Medium
Area of Effect / Target: Colossal
Duration: Permanent
Additional Counter Spells: Remove Curse
Save: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

All enemies within the area of effect have a curse placed on them, lowering all of their stats by 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At any rate, all done and done! A new core spellcasting class called the Occultist has been submitted!

Wait, what? How can a new core spellcasting class be created, you ask?!? Because the Occultist does not learn and cast spells like any other core spellcaster, he learns incantations! Incantations are feats that act just like spells except that they can be cast at will and are not subject to arcance spellcasting failure.

But wait! Isn't this some unbalanced uber munchkin spellcasting class then, you ask?!? No, not at all! Since the Occultist has to spend feats, they know less number of spells than a Sorcerer does. And given how easy it is for Sorcerers to rest and recover spells, they can almost cast spells at will anyway. In fact, my fear is that the Occultist is too weak of a spellcaster given their limited selection of incantations (slightly more than 100 over 10 circles of initiation) and limited number of feats.

Consequently, my recommendation is to use Occultists as the only spellcasting class in modules meant to simulate the stories of H.P. Lovecraft, R.E. Howard, and C.A. Smith.

Oh and did I mention that you can use Occultists in both 1.69 and Enhanced Edition? The one caveat is that in 1.69, players cannot choose a custom class at 1st level. But they could use Leto to edit their 1.69 1st level character. Or the builder just starts the characters off at 2nd level or higher. Or build in Enhanced Edition. Which leads me to the second caveat in that in the latest build of EE, the creature wizard crashes when trying to create a creature with a class that has a different name than expected (renamed classes or new classes). Thus, the builder must build the Occultist NPCs in 1.69 and then finish the module in EE. Or just build in 1.69. Ah the joys of being on the bleeding edge...!
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%