You are here

Custom Content Challenge: December 2017: Dinosaurs!

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Challenge: December 2017: Dinosaurs!

The theme for this month's challenge: "Dinosaurs!":

Dinosaurs of all types (maybe even completely original fantasy Dinosaurs), plus other prehistoric reptiles (pterosaurs, mosasaurs, pelycosaurs, etc), prehistoric fish (Dinicthys and other placoderms), extinct invertebrates (Eurypterids, etc), and even extinct mammals - imagine an Andrewsarchus roaming the streets of Neverwinter!

This theme was suggested by PLUSH HYENA of DOOM.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by January 1st, 2017. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (The origin of almost all my works.)
My NWN Works: The Complete List (120+ entries...You want this stuff.)
CEP 2.63 (Oh, this? Just a little something I've been working on since 2014.)
------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

New theme, starting on time this month.

Also, expect my backlog of content from previous months to get uploaded sometime late Sunday night. Had most of it ready to go and a cat walked on my keyboard as I was dragging files to compress them...and he deleted them. Stupid cute miniature predators...

reserved space

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

Awww yes

Do we want a concept art thread? Because uh, I can get a lot of pictures of ancient Mezozoic creatures

A lot

I'm going to contribute at least one thing people may have heard of, and at least one obscure Triassic reptile

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

Been saving this link for ages. These are not all dinosaurs but this snapshot of what paleontologists discovered throughout 2013 is fascinating (and includes some dinosaurs as well as an ancient form of Hyena...).

TR

PS Where is his shabbiness when you need him?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

*me casts Summon Plush Hyena of Doom*

-Dave

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
3RavensMore

Me'thinks PHoD is deep in the wilds on another expediction.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Some sources of inspiration:

Dinotopia - A fantasy universe when dinosaurs and humans coexist:

https://youtu.be/MrZ9GA-hiPI

Dinosaurs as war-beast like in the RTS game Paraworld:

https://youtu.be/7VL7lSRFTMs

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

Just started a new thread for inspirational pictures over in the new threads here as they are so easy to post there. The same with links to youtube vids.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
rjshae

Apparently dinosaur racing is a thing.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

While these extinct birds are amusing I doubt anyone will model one of these.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
rjshae

There's a low poly Diplodocus model available from OpenGameArt.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Ceratopsia - Dinosaurs: Triceratops, Torosaurus and Styracosaurus.
They use a modified version of the bulette animations. Models from "models-resource.com": https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/jurassicparkog/ "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis".

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

I like those ceratops a lot. yes

-Dave

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
shadguy

EDIT: Sorry double post

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

Shemsu, with very (I'm guessing here) little extra work you could convert one of those (the one in the middle in the top picture) gorgeous ceratops species into a protocertops. Remove the horns and shrink to about 2 meters in length and you are practically there.

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Vanya Mia

Those are awesome!

"I took Skill Focus: Craft Disturbing Mental Image as my feat last level." Belkar, OOTS

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

I dig, I dig. However, and this is that obsessive dino nerd side of me coming out, but the scale of the Torosaurus seems off. What's the size on it? They were comparable to Triceratops

(pssst. if you throw the models my way I'll totally wrangle a Pentaceratops out of it)

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Mecheon:

Honestly, I'm not sure about their size, I'm not an expert on dinosaurs. This are the two pictures that I have use as reference for their Size and as you can see the triceratops appears larger compared with the human reference. However the picture idicates that it's a large triceratops so maybe it was not the stadard for the them...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

Using that same site Shemsu -

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

Yeah, I do apologise, but 'obsessive dino nerd' is one of my things

So while fighting endlessly to figure out how to get all three of the bloody membranes a pterosaur should have withing breaking everything (As is what happens whenever I touch skinmesh), Here is the best I can find for some comparrisons. My mental Torosaur is probably along the lines of MOR 981, that and the unnumbered one look like they might hit 9 metres

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

@Mecheon:

I can send you my creatures it that would help you..

@TR:

My apologies, But I feel more interested in try a different kind of dinosaur in case I'll make more content for this challenge...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Vanya Mia

Dino nerding aside, these are so much better than the ones we have in CEP I don't think I'm alone in saying I'd really prefer to see more of them too! yes

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

Allosaurus creature made from a free model at "models-resource.com": https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/jurassicparkog/model/8769/
From "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis". It uses a highly modified version of the wyvern animations....

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

HELLO

I am kinda dying to see how that baby animates

... Also, uh, any possibility of taking that to other critters? Cause, well, aside from the obvious T-Rex, there's Yutyrannus, the feathery T-Rex cousin, Carnotaurus, the hilariously small armed horn-headed brute, all sorts.

... And if you ever get a raptor animation set, I am making a Utahraptor from that

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Mecheon:

Actually , I'm already working on a T-Rex.
And absolutely yes, The animations are setting in a supermodel, and my intencion always have been to use those animations with other carnosaurs, including raptors. I wouldn't have spent all that hours working with those animations if they only would be going to be used by a single creature.

I'm not sure how many more carnosaurs I'm going to be able to make, because the challenge is close to finish and I'm getting tired. However I can send you the supermodel if It's of use for you......

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Shemsu-Heru

A tyrannosaurus creature made from a free model at "models-resource.com": https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/jurassicparkog/model/3035/ "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis".
It uses the same modified wyvern's animations than the  allosaurus, however they don't work as weel as I had espected but still work reasonable well....

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
MadHatter

These look fantastic Shemsu! It appears I need to find a jungle tileset I like.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

Here is my last content of the year. A Spinosaurus creature made from a free model at "models-resource.com":  https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/jurassicparkog/model/3034/ From  "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis".
It use the same imperfect, modified wyvern's animations than the Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus....

Happy 2018 to everybody!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

I do apologise, but as soon as all of this comes out, I'm modifying that spinosaur to at least a Baryonyx. And unfortunately my own contribution (Obscure Jurassic Pterosaur Anurognathus) will be late as I attempt to bludgeon a skinmesh into submission

Also, Shesmu, if I can convince you to whip just one last easyish one up, if you can get this on the falcon animations you've got Mecheon Permission to go ahead with that (Given I, y'know, made that thing years ago), provided me and Olof are credited

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Shemsu-Heru

@Mecheon:

No need to apologize, feel free to make your baryonyx from the spinosaurus. About the archaeopteryx, I'm sorry but I feel that I have made enough content and wish to rest for now...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

Late is ok. I've got something else on my to do list today, so you've got a few more days. :)

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

Eck. Hit a hard spot where the wings show up fine in the toolset, but as soon as you go in the actual game, they vanish entirely.

This of course being Mecheon's Curse of Skinmesh. Anyone want to give it a poke if they know skinmesh better than me? I have provided a picture of my work as incentive

I'm also aware the arms are missing. They'll be textured in once I fix the bloody wings vanishing

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

THE CURSE HAS BEEN BROKEN.

So yeah, turns out my vanilla forest tileset got bugged somewhere along the while to hide skinmeshes somehow? So that's a thing. Going to have to find out how that happened. But until then, here's an Anurognathus

I'm going to go hibernate for a while before I take this model and bend it into even more pterosaurs, but that'll be for Mecheon's Inevitable Dumping Ground For Mezozoic Creatures Because I Totally Want A Crazy Triassic Lizard As A Famillier

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

Arse! Feck! Shite!

I blunder off into the wilderness for a while and thus miss my own sodding CCC Suggestion...

FECK!

(Still working on the PHoD Dinosaur Hak off and on. 47 species completed, probably put it on the Vault when I get a full 50 done).

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

It's not published yet - I bet TAD would accept a late submission.  :)

Welcome back from your wild blundering!

-Dave

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

I was rather hoping a certain brick-wielding hyena would make himself known, and I was purposefully waiting until this weekend to put everything together to post on the Vault (just in case).

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

Welcome back!

And yeah, its your CC submission. Late submissions are always fine

(i just want more dinosaurs. So so many more dinosaurs)

Incidentally, I found out the bloody Zoo Tycoon 2 modding community went fricking extinct creature crazy. They have a mod that adds Platyhystrix of all things to that game. I sort of need that game but the one digital download option isn't available in Australia thanks to licening nosense, a grumblegrumble...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

Platyhystrix?! You're joking?! And I thought I was being seriously weird when I did a Crassigyrinus for NWN. I mean, I did Eryops as a reasonably well known prehistoric amphibian, but I wanted something else a bit more obscure... Going to have to adapt my Dimetrodon model and do a Platyhystrix for NWN now... well... when I have the time, which isn't right now... Sorry about that, TAD, but thanks for thinking about me.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

There's even two versions. The original incredibly colourful one with a grab-bag of other critters, and a later, stand-alone one

And PHoD, if I can have one request, I gotta see that Crassigyrinus. I gotta see the ol' murder tadpole

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

Mecheon - Still a few things to hit with bricks before the PHoD Dinosaur (and other prehistoric animals) Hak is ready for release - just this morning I found the Quetzalcoatlus, which I thought finished, has a bit of an animation glitch when landing. Takes off fine, but its left wing goes briefly berserk when landing... Might put up some more screenshots to show progress at some point though, including the slimy Crassigyrinus weirdo.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

Always down for it. You know me and dinosaurs. And pterosaurs. And various Mezozoic archosaurians

And a Quetzalcoatlus? Next you're gonna say you've got a Hatzegopteryx and a Drepanosaurus hidden there :p

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

No Hatzegopteryx since it's more or less the same animal, give or take, as Quetzalcoatlus. But you could easily enough do a texture variant of the Quetzalcoatlus and alter the crest a bit...

As to Drepanosaurus, I hadn't really considered it, being as how nobody's got a skull... safer to do Megalancosaurus since it's near identical but we actually know for sure what its head looked like... It'd be nice to add additional anims so it could actually use its tail claw and hang from branches or something... hm...

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

Have you read Naish and Witton 2017? I mean, its only been published last year, but Hatzy is looking a fair bit different from just appearance (Tall one is Arambourgiania), with the shorter neck and the utterly absurd beak. Its beefy and so help me if I had an animation set that would work for how just bizzare Ahzdarchidae were, I'd try and get it working

And while we don't know the head for Drepano itself, the three Drepanosaurs we do have heads for all do have bird-like heads, so it could be a close enough (I say with full knowledge that Drepanosaurus is quite easily the weirdest of the bunch even taking into account Hypuronector and almost certainly had something weird going on there). Mind my stupid idea was to go full in on the possible similarties to the pygmy anteater to full absurdity, and make a VFX version based on the psuedodragon someone did in one of the CCC things. Just a tiny adorable lizard buddy

(Welcome to pterosaur/dinosaur talk, folks. I'm sorry. This is what happens if you lock me and PHoD in a room together)

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Empyre65

I miss the brontosaurus. If we can have both wapiti and elk, why not both apatosaurus and brontosaurus as synonyms?

"Never laugh in the face of a live dragon." - Bilbo Baggins

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

I have a completed Brontosaurus model. You can easily do a texture variant and CALL it an Apatosaurus if you wish. When I get the annoying glitches in the hadrosaurid/iguanodont animations sorted out and thus actually post the ridiculously large heap of prehistoric beasties. (PS - Sorted out the Quetzalcoatlus wing issue. Apparently skinmesh doesn't mirror correctly in Gmax, no matter how well you sew it back together.)

Brontosaurus and Apatosaurs are now recognized as two distinct species, by the way... As are Eohippus and Hyracotherium, so the classics like Thunder Lizard and Dawn Horse live again. Or would if they weren't extinct.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Mecheon

Yup! Although in getting back Brontosaurus we lost Eobrontosaurus and Elosaurus but I don't think anyone's too fussed about those

Please also note other recent Brontosaurus work suggests they went to absolute town on each other with their massive, big necks.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

Palaeontologically accurate as I'm trying to be, so far as polycounts and so forth go, if you think I'm trying to fathom out all-new Sauropod neck wrestling animations... you're wrong! They can share the Diplodocus/Seismosaurus tail-lashing and be happy with it.

I'm STILL grappling with trying to get the Hadrosaurid/Iguanodont animations to shift between quadrupedal and bipedal movement as necessary... But I have got the Pachycephalosaurus and Stygimoloch to run into each other head to head and bounce off in an amusing way now, so you can have Pachycephalosaurid head-butting rituals.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%