You are here

Custom Content Challenge: April 2017: Why So Serious?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Challenge: April 2017: Why So Serious?

The theme for this month's challenge: "Why So Serious?":

D&D is not always a game of serious topics and deadly combat. Sometimes things just end up a little bit (or a lot) obsurd. This decade old game could use a few more things that are just plain silly or carefully considered D&D humor. A gazebo monster, or a door that looks like a large jar. A band of gnome pickpockets that steal footwear. An overly curious NPC that just follows PCs around until they leave the area. A jester that tells random jokes. A longsword model that looks like a Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment. A set of prefab books with humorous descriptions and titles. Apprentice-scribed spells scrolls that have unforseen effects. A short quest that just ends up ridiculous halfway through before having a normal ending. A henchman that has a 25% chance on seeing any human (or elf, or dwarf, etc.) of voicing a crude insult about said being. Be creative!

This theme was suggested by The Amethyst Dragon.

Guidelines:

• It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine.  Just remember that NWN textures must have dimensions in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.).
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome. Don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • "Custom Content" includes many sorts of things: models, scripts, prefabs (areas, items, creatures, conversations, quests, etc.), sounds, portraits, or anything else new for the game.
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by May 1st, 2017. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Some things you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:

• 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot from in game for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie). Formats: .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. Placeables and monsters should include a portrait.
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).

Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity, and surprise!

This thread is for all sorts of discussion about this month's theme: ideas for things to make, questions/concerns, announcement of what you intend to make, screenshots of work in progress and/or finished projects.  

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here

When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. 

We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

- The Amethyst Dragon
---------------
World of Aenea (Hall of Fame PW and the origin of almost all my works)

NWN Custom Content: The Complete List (90+ entries, including 18 Hall of Fame award winners)

Self-Promotional Honesty: If you have opinions on stuff I've made, or if you use any of it (as a player or builder), I like comments/votes/feedback...so do other content makers and builders. Keep us motivated. :)

------ Neverwinter Nights Community Site: The Unofficial Homepage for NWN ------

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

Announced/Intended Projects:

"the darkness" (creature prefab) by The Amethyst Dragon

Emailed/Downloaded Projects:

Funny Story (prefab collection) by Tarot Redhand

Chickenmounts (creature models) by TheBarbarian

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

i've waited and voted for this

for over three years now

and now that it's here

no idea seems quite good enough

how about something with

mounts?

a rideable giant chicken mount?

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Is it time to upload 60% of my NPCs as prefabs.

yes.
its time.
mike get the clamps
i shall do it

Current development head of the Anderfell PW project, habitual player of halfdragons, and novice NWscripter

"Keep it simple, stupid" 

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon

My first submission will be an invisible (but targetable) creature prefab named "the darkness"...so someone can cast magic missile it.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
The Amethyst Dragon
StraightOuttaAvernus:

Maybe do just a few, but go all out in their descriptions, conversations, etc. :)
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

wait hold on.

-because you just said invisible
-and I just found this
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/sleepab...

-and it's blimey walkable
and I didn't know you could do this, or that I needed this until now. The time has come to make invisibile walkable placeables so that our PCs may be jesus and cross oceans. Someone do this please. Please. Bonus points for ones with verticality so that we can see how high NWN characters can go before leaving the map.

also can someone make a set of holdable coconuts, still speaking of invisible, so that I may use them on PCs that are using the mounted phenotype with no horse. Just do it.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

2 simple (usually means nobody makes em) suggestions. A glowing bucket - yep it's the Holy Pail. A 3d model of a 2 letter word that is between 3 and 5 metres (10 - 15 feet) tall - That's a big IF!

Or... Pun Monsters such as a big shaggy beast with large horns - a Dilemma (from the UK saying "On the horns of a dilemma"). Failing that why not raid the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony for others.

Talking of raiding novels. One of the funniest things I read was in the original Harry Harrison novel (there are a number of sequels) "The Stainless Steel Rat" where the hero encounters a steam powered robot and its owner ("Stoke dammit, stoke!").

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
quevy

It would be nice a trap joke to put on the door, if someone opens the door a bucket thrown water on him if you pass.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

Adams Family TV show doorbell (foghorn) anyone? Listen here but the doorbell on there isn't perfect - it clips badly.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

please meet

timothy

he is a large rooster

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Mecheon

I love it

I've got some stupid ideas coming down the pipeline, but I also have a Very Serious idea I need to get a brewing, so we'll see how this all goes

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Vanya Mia

Never got around to taking part before but I have some custom scripts I made for Planescape in Olidammara's manse. An electrified door handle making you drop gear, a falling bucket of paint that coloured clothing randomly, a falling cow which could hurt a little, and one that just produced a massive amount of kittens. I could donate those?

"I took Skill Focus: Craft Disturbing Mental Image as my feat last level." Belkar, OOTS

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

IMO Definitely.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
quevy
Who can best jokes of the components of a traveling circus.

Something that can be integrated to this.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/jester-...

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

So I have a little problem. I have 26 new sound effects plus an edited ambientsounds.2da in a hak that works in the toolset. I would like to make a simple demo module but that's where the problem is. My idea is that when the PC walks over certain points each individual sound should play. That is there would be 26 floor locations where a different sound plays for each one. I was going to use pressure plates for this but they appear to be not animated and they don't blend into the floor (who thought that was a good idea?). Surely there is a better way than triggers to pull this off (not levers either, they make a sound and it's sounds I'm trying to demo)? Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

TR

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
DrA

Several skulls, put on the floor, sound - play onUsed, will be your goalwink

Another one - use the conversation with some scripting. Well, that one might be more spooky then fun.

More serious - Invisible objects - activating and playing sound when the PC gets near them? I've seen some script good for this (with some tweaking) lately - (torches react to PC's proximity).

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Proleric
Proleric's picture

Cheesy solution - use rune plates, change the rune when the player walks over it (delete the old placeable, create a new one, reverse after a few seconds). Or apply vfx to a pressure plate, perhaps.

NWN and DAO adventures at http://proleric.com/

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

In order to keep this alive in people's minds I have a link to share. If you remember I mentioned attack of the pun beasts in an earlier post. Well here is a link to a really prolific artist's gallery page on deviantArt. The artist appears to post at least one a day. My current favourite one has to be cat-hulu (hint I added the hyphen so you know what you are getting). What's yours?

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

Seems like most people have little to smile about this month then. Very quiet indeed. Well I've just made a set of documents that taken together tell a short story designed to hopefully make you smile at least. They consist of three letters, three memos and a flyer all vaguely set in the tolkien universe (should be easily adaptable to any other universe). They need to be read in the order letters 1 - 3 first followed by memo 1 then the flyer and finally memos 2 and 3. Once I have actually put the text into items for use in game I will submit them along with the sound effects I mentioned earlier in the month.

In the mean time here is text of the first letter to give you a flavour of the series overall.

From S.H. Eyster, C.R. Oook & Associates (Attorneys at Law)
To Windee D’Pew (Night-soil Transport and Recycle Agents)

We, the above, do humbly and most abjectly offer our most sincere apologies. In our previous communications with you we did conclude a contract between you and a third party. Unfortunately some errors crept into the documentation. It would appear that you have entered into an utterly unbreakable (on pain of eternal torment) contract with someone different than you thought you were. This was due to our previous secretary’s near-sightedness. So instead of the contract being between you and Mr S. Moog the Melodic, an elf of aristocratic birth, as stated in our previous correspondence, I am sorry to report that you are actually contracted to Smaug the Destroyer a most terrible Dragon. From this it will also be obvious that the address you were given is also erroneous. Instead of your agents having to visit the Dell of Aural Delights, they now have to travel much further – to the Lonely Mountain.

Again we offer our apologies and do abase ourselves at your feet (metaphorically speaking (we dread to think what they smell like given your line of work)).

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

OK Just sent in. While I've created blueprints for them, I would say that the sounds are really best triggered by script. Along with the hak and erfs I have also included all the source files (which includes the "free for non-profit use" that came with the sfx. Originally they were in mp3 format. Fortunately you can use audacity to batch convert them to wavs. I have not created a demo program this time as I found the solutions to be a bit clunky (not a criticism of the suggestors just me).

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
StraightOuttaAvernus

Maaaaaay need to take a raincheck on making this one :s weeding out the bugs in my hakpaks and I keep finding broken supermodels that I gotta find a fix for.

So! My NWN custom content'ing time is all booked I'm afraid :c

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
TheBarbarian

Chickenmounts sent in, with somewhat better feet and four color variants:

@Tarot

BEAR SHARK! RAHHH!!

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

I sent in a bunch of sound effects as well bundled up with the storey but not part of it.

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
CC Makers
CC Makers's picture
  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%