You are here

Sound is Broken in Latest EE Release

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Andarian
Sound is Broken in Latest EE Release

I finally had time to start a new playthrough test of the latest EE release, and I'm sorry to have to say that music support is badly broken. Three of the custom tracks for my mods, including the series' "Main Theme," play as garbled gibberish. It's literally the first thing a player hears on starting them. These were tracks that played fine in classic NWN, and that's just from a few minutes of testing. There likely are more.

I'm sure I can fix this for my mods, but this is a serious backward compatability bug. I'm going to see if there's a ticket in for this, and open one if there isn't.

I know the last updated mucked with the sound configuration. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

EDIT: Obviously, yes. See:

EDIT 2: So far, the pattern appears to be that the affected files are everything from Elfahiar's Custom Music Pack, and all the files I've tested so far that I prepared from mp3 myself.

EDIT 3: Yes, there is a bug report that addresses this fully. The OpenAL change had widespread (and bad) effects.

 

 

  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Proleric
Proleric's picture

So far, the Community Music Pack (which is different from Elfahiar's) seems to be working. I'm using the official OpenAL download from the Beamdog client, don't know whether that makes a difference.

NWN and DAO adventures at http://proleric.com/

  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Andarian

Yes, that's what I'm seeing too. All the tracks from the CMP that I've tested so far still work.

  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Tarot Redhand

I downloaded that little collection and confirm it doesn't work in EE. So I checked the tavern track in spek.exe and all seems ok although one minor point is that the upper frequency limit for that trak seems to be 15khz instead of the expected 16khz. They play ok in audacity (just drag an drop). So someone at BD has screwed up apparently.

TR

  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Andarian

So from a little more testing, I can confirm that it really is only the tracks I made/packaged (edited in Audacity and made a bmu from it), and Elfahair's Custom Music pack. I haven't gone through the entire CMP, but everything in it that I've checked seems to be fine.

So I did a simple test. I converted some of the failing BMUs back to MP3, imported a few into Audacity, immediately exported them back out as 128 kbp stereo, converted the result back to BMU, and dropped them back into EE. And now they play fine. I don't have a good explanation for why that should have fixed it them, but there you are. So while it'll be a bit of tedious work, I have a straightforward way to do so, and to get Sanctum's soundtrack playable again. 

  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Grymlorde

Edit: As of the very latest patch, released on December 21, 2017, almost all of my music issues have been resolved. However there is still some lingering artifacts:

Slightly "Crunchy" music:

The Witcher Music Pack - almost every single one
Also, some music I had independently ripped from The Witcher still has a little bit of "crunchy" artifacts.
 

No Difference

All of my personally owned music that I ripped from my CDs, converted to .mp3 in iTunes, and then converted to .bmu by MP3 To BMU work just fine. A number of open source .mp3 I got from the Internet also convert just fine.
 
This new as of Dec-21 bug has now been entered into the tracking system.
  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
ShadowM

All standard bioware music now has little tsk sound it the background, it very subltle but there for me. I have very good hearing, but I do not mind it. Custom music I only test one song did not have problems. I figure more sound updates, options will come though it is a beta.

  • up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Andarian

I just finished a full playthrough of both of my modules with the previous beta of EE. The sounds artifacts are very much there, and I mind them very much.

  • up
    100%
  • down
    0%