You are here

[How-To] Rolling Back a Module from NWN EE to NWN v1.69

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pstemarie
[How-To] Rolling Back a Module from NWN EE to NWN v1.69

Well, this has been a most interesting morning. After updating to the latest patch of the EE Headstart, it has become apparent that each new update seems to introduce new bugs into the toolset. The list of bugs - model viewer broken, placeable models not rendering, "out of system resources" error when viewing the inventory of a creature with the Creature Properties window open, areas built with custom tilesets not able to export (some do, but not all - yet they all export in the 1.69 Toolset), etc. - has become so great that I have decided to abandon the EE Toolset for now and leave the bug hunting to some other guinea pig. Furthermore, for someone trying to develop a module, it has become apparent to me that choosing to do so with the EE Headstart as my platform was NOT the smartest thing to do.

Now, one would think that rolling a tiny module back to v1.69 would be a simple matter of exporting ALL the module resources into a ERF file, creating a new module in the 1.69 Toolset, then importing said ERF into that newly created module. Well, you would be WRONG. It seems that ERF files exported from the EE Toolset are flagged as requiring that version of the toolset. Thus, when you try to import the ERF into a module built with the 1.69 Toolset, you get an error message stating that "This module was built using a newer version of the Aurora Toolset - blah blah blah." Thank god for ERF Edit and NWN Explorer, which allowed me to export the contents of the EE module I had been working on and build an ERF file that WOULD work with the 1.69 Toolset.

While this may not sound like a big deal, when you consider the amount of time I've put into this module over the past two weeks and the near coronary I suffered when it seemed like it was all was lost (or at least locked up in a buggy toolset), this experience only further vindicated my resolve to go back to what I know WORKS - version 1.69. So, in summation:

1. Do not waste your time building content in the EE Toolset. Wait for the final release before working with it on any serious project.
  2. Do get a copy of ERF Edit and NWN Explorer (or NWN Explorer Reborn).
  3. Do build your module with the 1.69 Toolset and port it over to NWN EE only AFTER you are done building it - at least until the final release of the EE Toolset.

Really, when you think about it, I was a complete idiot working in a Beta toolset on a WIP module and, in hindsight, had NO business doing so. Furthermore, what I did reasonably expect, other than a toolset that would at least function like it did in v1.69? Certainly my naivity about coding applications doesn't help either. i have no understanding of the nuances of such work, nor do I desire to have any. So, if you don't mind working around a seemingly increasing amount of bugs, then the EE Toolset is for you - knock yourself out. If you want to build something that can actually function in NWN EE: use the 1.69 Toolset, copy the completed module over to your NWN EE modules folder in /documents/Neverwinter Nights, open and save it with the EE Toolset, and then play to your heart's content.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
shadguy

If you need to revert in the future, you may also be able to get away with editing the Mod_MinGameVer in your module.ifo file. It can be found in the temp0 dir when the toolset is open; after you edit it with Leto Advanced Editor (or GFF editor of your choice), kill the toolset.  If you let it save, it saves cached data and loses your edits.

I use this method when updating my haklist because I typically want to skip the forced full module rebuild.

Also, you can update your Aliases in one of your ini giles in /documents/Neverwinter Nights to point at your 1.69 install, if desired.  

-Dave

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
ShadowM

You can change with TlkEdit just select it scroll down to module.ifo highlight it and from the dropdown select open resource in editor then change the number and save and you done. I been working with 1.69 also because I use Toolset extender with it better compiler and the EE just cannot handle the bigger includes and bigger list files. One of the reason I pushing for compiler update for EE.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Proleric
Proleric's picture

I did the same thing with nwhak. It will open modules if you enter *.mod as the filename. Export module.ifo, change the version to from 1.74 to 1.69 with a GFF editor, import & save.

The obvious caveat is that if the module has used any exclusive features of EE, such as the new script functions, they need to be deleted in the EE toolset first.

NWN and DAO adventures at http://proleric.com/

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Tarot Redhand

I would think that in this prolongued transition period, while EE modules should still work on 1.69 (ignoring the few new scripts in EE) that it might be a good idea for someone who understands the file formats a lot better than I, to make a little utility to revert modules from EE to 1.69. You know the sort of thing -

Revert169 EE_module_in 169_module out

TR

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Genisys

It seems like to me that the NWN EE people are in over their heads & this is going to take a long time to come around to a stable edition.

All of my work has been moved to this community....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwnopencommunity/

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Knight_Shield

Dude ........ They lost me at the Aribeth mod and the shiny water. Shiny water looks bad and the sewer water isn't even green anymore.

I mean you just lost the feel of the game and they're ok with that. They are more concerned that they can do this or that now.

I know everyone has a different way of doing things , I think that we're not in the same place on it.

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%