You are here

[AC: NWN2] The Gathering Storm by PJ156 and M Rieder (9/14)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Werelynx
[AC: NWN2] The Gathering Storm by PJ156 and M Rieder (9/14)

Our second(or rather a third ;) ) Adventurer's Club module for Neverwinter Nights 2 is The Gathering Storm. Created by PJ156 and M Rieder, nominated by Berliad.

Game: NWN2

Module Name & Author: The Gathering Storm by PJ156 and M Rieder.

Neverwinter Vault Link: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/gathering-storm

Character starting level & info: Level 1, no restrictions.

Estimated hours of play (if available): 3-5 hours

Why submitted: I've enjoyed PJ156 module series, Tales from the Lake of Sorrows.  This module has gotten good feedback and is a self-contained story, despite being the first part of a project that never worked out.  It looks like a good, short and sweet module from an active author in our community.

The plan will be to play this module and start the discussion next week.  If you don't get done in time, don't sweat it; chime in whenever you catch up!  Some questions to spur discussion are below.  Feel free to answer all, any, or none of them, and feel free to add your own!

Some Discussion Questions (more specific ones to be added as we play):

• What did you think were the highlights of the module?
  • What aspects of the module surprised you?  Made you think?
  • How did you find the story overall?
  • What did you think of the atmosphere and ambiance (including visuals, audio, etc)?
  • What did you think of the combat?
  • Did you encounter any bugs?  Or other aspects of the module that could be improved?
  • This the first part of project that was not finished. Would you like to see what would follow?
  • Do you think that the collaboration betweeen authors worked well?

If you want to share your thoughts earlier than please feel free to do so ;-)  Just give others time to respond.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Berliad

I apologize for not being able to play this one, given that I nominated it!  I am currently traveling abroad and do not have a computer capable of running NWN2.  When I get back to the States in mid-December, I do intend to play this one and will chime in here if the thread still exists.

Blog | @berliad | Adventurers' Club | Hero's Path Module Lists [NWN1] [NWN2] | FRW Character Creator

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Jezla

Okay, I just finished the module.  I played a LG Dwarf Fighter.  It's a pretty straightforward mod, clearly intended as a prelude chapter to a larger campaign.  My character is an adventurer who helps a small mining enclave clear their mine of a goblin invasion.  There are hints that the goblins have decided to settle, rather than raid.  It would have been interesting to see where the story would have gone had further chapters been developed.

On to the questions:

What did you think were the highlights of the module?

The pacing of the story was good.  I enjoyed the setup to the beetle quest, it made a typical vermin hunt seem more interesting.  The moving mine cart was well done.

What aspects of the module surprised you? Made you think?

Nothing particularly surprised me, and I don't think the mod was intended to be very deep.

How did you find the story overall?

It was well-told and well-paced, for an introductory chapter.

What did you think of the atmosphere and ambiance (including visuals, audio, etc)?

Good, for the most part.  The areas all felt like what they were supposed to represent.

What did you think of the combat?

I play on easy, so combat judgments are somewhat irrelevant for me to make, however the only part that gave me trouble was the first fight in the deeper tunnels against a large group of goblins and a couple of ogres. 

Did you encounter any bugs? Or other aspects of the module that could be improved?

The only bug I encountered was that the journal entry for the mine cart did not complete after the explosion.  The biggest improvement that could be made is in polishing.  Some of the load screens don't seem to fit the area they belong to, and there are typos and spelling errors throughout, which is my biggest complaint.  This is not a big mod, and there is not a lot of dialog, so it should not have been to hard to proof-read and spell check everything, especially the intro cutscene.  The area design is good, though I think the texture blending on some of the exterior areas could be better.  The green grass textures are kind of overpowered by the underlying dirt texture (or is it just green-tinted dirt?).  More grass would help as well.  The deeper cave area (the exterior used as an interior) seemed hastily done and not as detailed as it could have been.

There was also some funny camera angles in the last cutscene, where my character is leaving the enclave.  The camera got positioned beneath the terrain, so it looked like I was walking in space.

This the first part of project that was not finished. Would you like to see what would follow?

Absolutely!

Do you think that the collaboration between authors worked well?

I think so, though it was easy to tell which parts had been worked on by which author, whereas a more polished effort would have smoothed over each author's 'footprints,' if you will.

All in all, I enjoyed the mod for a few hours entertainment. The areas were well done, and the characters had PJ's typical human touch that we saw in TLOS.  It was good to have some interesting ways to deal with overpowering odds like sending an explosives packed mine cart down a tunnel.  I'll definitely be looking at the mod in the toolset to see how that was done!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
PJ156

I just ran through myself and thought the following:

Firstly some background. The module was built as a joint project between me and Matt. We were both on other projects and sort of lost interest in this one as the energy in the CPTT team waned. Some time after that I though the module would be better out than in and added the first area with the rescue and the text. Now I run thorugh it again I can see the same as Jezla. It has a woeful lack of polish even by my standards ... I am not so hot on the final clean up :) 

It has been a while since I played it so I could sort of stand outside the module and look in when i did this run through. I took a fighter/druid, one of my favorite classes.

• What did you think were the highlights of the module?

For me, looking back they were the bits I did not do. I was amazed that Matt managed to do the "drop the rock" on the ogre and impressed by the waggon cutscene. It was also Matt that added the move silent area and the option to burn the forrest in the second area. These are all technical acheivements that are beyond me. I still laugh when I played the tiny farm convo, that was very well done. I myself did not try to put any humour into the mod. I was looking for desperation from the locals, and trying to give the player a real feeling that they were the only hope for the enclave. I am not sure I did that but i did enjoy the blackness i put into some of the dialogue. I liked the negative energy between Dom and Martin and I liked to roleplay sending off the sleazebag trying to take advantage of the widow.

•  What aspects of the module surprised you?  Made you think?

Not a lot realy surprised me which is no surprise in itself :)

• How did you find the story overall?

The story was my major input the to module. I liked it/like it still, but it is very much in the mould of my work. I think it hangs together and I know where it is going though the player may not. If I were to improve it a later date it will be too add more townsfolk with thier own issues and sub plots. These would underpin the sense of desparation in the town. 

• What did you think of the atmosphere and ambiance (including visuals, audio, etc)?

I am happy with the overall feel of the module. In later work I focus more on weather and the "sense" of the areas but none the less I think the overall result for these areas is okay. The town seems very empty though. 

• What did you think of the combat?

I played on normal mode and I found it tough. i spent a lot on poitions so I never managed to but too much in the way of equipment. The ogre combat on level 2 had me running for the door. Contrary to that I best the goblin mass before flooding the cave.

• Did you encounter any bugs?  Or other aspects of the module that could be improved?

Loads. This module could benifit greatly from a facelift and polish.

• This the first part of project that was not finished. Would you like to see what would follow?

I would love to have the time to make it. This has the makings of a dragon module, perhaps one day it will be. 

• Do you think that the collaboration betweeen authors worked well?

It did, we split the overall work. I did everything up to the cave entry and Matt the caves. Matt did all the fancier scripting on my side, I did the prisoner ocnversation on matts (the sleaze bag). It is fair to say that Matts final area seemed rushed. It was. By then we just wanted to get back to our own projects as the energy was gone from this one.

Those are my thoughts as the builder. I would love to hear what others think. Thank you Jezla for your thoughts above :D

PJ

• up
    100%
  • down
    0%
Jezla

I forgot about the rock.  It was a nice touch, though I mis-timed it and didn't hit the ogre! :-)

I missed burning the forest, I think because my character didn't have the skills or something.

I do remember thinking that the enclave could have been more heavily populated, but the essentials are there.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%