You are here

[AC: NWN1] Arctacia Adventures Trilogy by Arctacia (9/14)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Werelynx
[AC: NWN1] Arctacia Adventures Trilogy by Arctacia (9/14)

Our second Adventurer's Club module for Neverwinter Nights 1 is Arctacia Adventures Trilogy by Arctacia!  This module was nominated by Werelynx:

Game:  NWN1

Module Name (and author): Arctacia Adventures Trilogy by Arctacia

Neverwinter Vault Link: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/arctacia-adventures-trilogy

Character starting level, requirements & info: pregenerated Suge Zerdolux character

Estimated hours of play (if available): 8-10 hours

Why submitted: adventure concentrating on puzzles, inspired by crypt of riddles.

The plan will be to play the module and start the discussion next week.  If you don't get done in time, don't sweat it; chime in whenever you catch up!  Some questions to spur discussion are below.  Feel free to answer all, any, or none of them, and feel free to add your own!

Some Discussion Questions (more specific ones to be added as we play):

• What did you think were the highlights of the module?
  • What aspects of the module surprised you?  Made you think?
  • How did you find the story overall?
  • What did you think of the atmosphere and ambiance (including visuals, audio, etc)?
  • What did you think of the combat?
  • Did you encounter any bugs?  Or other aspects of the module that could be improved?
  • Do you think that the pregenerated PC provided fits the story?
  • Did you like the puzzles? What was your favourite? What was least fun to solve? What was tough for you?

If you want to share your thoughts earlier than please feel free to do so ;-)  Just give others time to respond.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Berliad

I started this last night.  Maybe I can comment as I play through.

So far, I'm enjoying the atmosphere a great deal.  The writing is very good, and I like the post-apocolyptic setting.  I am not a huge fan of puzzles, to be honest, but so far these have been fine.  The lesson thus far has been to examine everything, even when multiple things look the same.  I did follow the author's advice and tried to do the maze without the map.  I was able to complete it largely by hugging the right wall, though there was a loop or two....the compass was really important to keep myself oriented, but I did find myself feeling a bit uncertain in several cases about whether I'd already done a stretch of the hallway.  In any case, I'm enjoying it so far!

Blog | @berliad | Adventurers' Club | Hero's Path Module Lists [NWN1] [NWN2] | FRW Character Creator

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Werelynx

Puzzles of course and scifi setting. Though the later is a "all aliens are humans with funny ears or fur or lion heads or green skin" type of scifi :D

First fall of Dartek was surprising, but was explained later. Until the very end the reason for those riddles were unclear. I mean that crypt of riddles was basically tomb of riddle-loving king, but why all the riddles in here? Was Dartek that insane? Of course another thing that was explained later.

It's definitely slow at the beginning, you are thrown without much a clue w of what you are doing. Chapter 3 was the best story-wise.

• What did you think of the atmosphere and ambiance (including visuals, audio, etc)?

Good!

No combat except for puzzles where one hit=instakill.

• Did you encounter any bugs?  Or other aspects of the module that could be improved?

Bugs:

- "which you like to light it" (obviously it should say "would you") - candles in charon temple

- "be overcome" - evil Dartek in final conv.

- power plant "follow the flow" puzzle: area is too dark

- my pregen PC has no portrait..

Story flow in the first chapter could use improving. What does it mean I have affinity with teleports? Why I never use such affinity?

Only one item in his inventory.. which are ordinary clothes. Name fits the story, but the rest is told by journal entries. Definitely PC is shown to be unique or even different, but the main goal of the author was to limit the classes to commoner class in order to avoid players breaking puzzles by attacking stuff with spells or great strength.

• Did you like the puzzles? What was your favourite? What was least fun to solve? What was tough for you?

I liked them though some where: if it doesn't hit you immediately you won't be able to solve it.. Like "the flow maze" puzzle - the area is very dark, but even after I read walkthrough I had to look really well to understand that tiles show the direction of stepping. Another puzzle was black box riddles: as a non-english speaker I usually am able to solve riddle but I did not know that potatoes have eyes, ha! That had me looking into walkthrough.

I have finished the module and as for puzzle module it is very good. I'm recommending it for anyone that loves puzzles. If there would be 4th chapter I would definitely play it.

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%
Berliad

So, I don't think I'm going to finish this one.  I finished the first act and went half-way through the second.  It's one of those "It's not you, it's me" things.  I'm not a fan of nonstop puzzle games (like Myst, etc), and that's exactly what this is.  The story is intriguing, and the writing (especially) early on was quite good.  But when I can only play every two or three nights, and Saleron's Gambit 5 is calling me, it's hard to plow through a module of a type that I don't relaly enjoy.

To the questions!

It does a very nice job executing its central premise, which is to present original, varied puzzles within a compelling story framework.  While in many ways the pylons are a contrivance that lets the author give you instructions for each (or most) puzzles, it felt right in the world.

Mostly that the story was so interesting.  I always enjoy post-apocalyptic settings, and this one seemed like a really fun blend of sci fi and fantasy.  The fall of the main villain was interesting, and I liked how parts of that story were delivered via short excerpts of in-world writings.

See above.  I liked it.  It just ultimately wasn't enough for me to continue slogging through the puzzles.

The atmosphere was good, with a nice combination of horror, sci fi, and the bizarre.  I appreciated the attention to visual effects through so many of the puzzles.  Given that it was mostly done with Lilac Soul's scriptgen (so says the author's readme), I was pretty impressed!

Huh? :)

The main thing is that some of the very dark areas seemed to be inconsistently lit.  They'd go dark, then I'd pass tile's border, and they'd suddenly go light again.  I think this was not intentional.

It served its purpose.  Having 1 HP definitely kept me cautious, even though I knew that he was rarely in danger.

My favorite was the bridge gate puzzle; it was one of the few that required some planning.  I think my least favorite were the item-association puzzles, which seemed to get repetitive by the end of the first act.  I did go to the spoilers a few times, mostly because I was getting annoyed.  I missed the details on a few of the torches, for example, in that early puzzle.  When I realized, I just kind of shrugged and rolled my eyes.

Like I said, I'm not a puzzle game fan, usually.  If one or two of these puzzles appeared in a standard adventure module, I would love it.  But I get tired of them when they are the focus.  I never finished Myst, for example.  I "get it," and I think this author did a nice job of achieving what he wished to achieve.  It is well-produced and executed.  It's just not my cup of tea!

• up
    50%
  • down
    50%